What fish can I have with a Harlequin Tusk?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Herndo

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
My tank has just finished cycling and it's almost time to start adding fish. My "showfish" will be a Harlequin Tusk. My saltwater friends as well as two LFS's have all confirmed that a tusk and clownfish will get along fine, as long as the tusk isnt' too big to start with and is added last. Here is a list of fish that I would be interested in having in my tank in order of preference. The Clown is a must for my wife and the Tusk is for me. Please let me know what you guys think could work together. My tank is 55 gallons with 50 #'s of LR. Thanks.

Pinkface Wrasse
Paddlefin Wrasse
Coral Beauty Angel
Flame Angel
Blue Green Reef Chromis
Flameback Angel
Blueline Angelfish
Green Mandarin
Banana Wrasse
Auriga Butterflyfish
Lemonpeel Angel
Black & White Percula Clownfish
--I would also like a lawnmower blenny, would he work in there?

You do not want to add a clown with the tuskfish!!! Unless you are planning a nice meal for the tusk :? Although they are listed as docile fish, they will eat smaller fish and inverts. Looking at your list i'd say you are going to be feeding that wrass (the tuskfish) very very well. Besides, in a 55gal, you should re-think the tuskfish anyway. They are messy eaters, not swallowing food whole, but taring into the flesh of the fish they are eating. And they grow too big for that tank. HTH

Welcome to AquariumAdvice.com :)

If I was you, I'd be looking at what to remove, not what to add :wink:

I would definately not recommend a tuskfish let alone any other fish. For a 55 gal, you are already seriously overstocked. IMO, quite dangerously. The types and sizes of fish you have listed should be in a 150+ gal tank.

Cheers
Steve

I think that list of fish is the kinds he would like to have, not what he already has..he's not planning on buying all of them, just asking which of that list would be good...right?

The paddlefin would work, and the chromis, and clown, and one of the dwarf angels. No way should you put 2 angels in a tank that size. The tusk is a little big for a 55 mabye you should reconsider. Paddle fins are great though, very beautiful and don't get more than 6". Also skip the mandarin, they require big tanks with tons of pods to eat.

ImLookinForNemo said:
he's not planning on buying all of them, just asking which of that list would be good...right?
DOH! :oops: I misread if that's the case my bad.

Actually I would not suggest any wrasse from the Thalassoma sp.. They are not even invert friendly and will kill snails and crustaceans. They are also a little to active for their size vs the tank volume. I would instead suggest looking and one of the carpenter/flasher wrasses. One of the three angels would be fine as would the chromis and clown. I would actually try getting a mated pair of clowns. IME, they will do much better.

Agreed on the mandarine but I would also suggest you skip the butterfly as well. They get quite large.

Sorry for the confusion
Cheers
Steve

Back
Top Bottom