What fish for 50g aquarium?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

joemacros

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi

I have a new 50g marine aquarium just set up and will cycle for about a month. in the meantime I'm wondering what kind of fish to get for it.

1) I assume I can only put in about 7-9 small fishes. Can anyone suggest different fishes that 'get along' together or what to avoid.

2) I'm thinking a fish only tank. If I put in anemones ONLY, can I put in fish that are non reef safe? I heard that they don't eat anemone.

3) I was also told that anemones in general are not good for a reef aquarium because if one dies, they secrete a kind of toxin or 'darts' into the system which kills everything else and poisons the filter pump. Is this true??

Thank you!

Joe macros

You don't want an anemone any time soon. They don't have a good survival record in aquariums and they especially don't do well in new tanks. What kind of fish depends on what kind of tank you want. Do you have LR? What kind of light?
I would think (for a reef) maybe a yellow tang, a clown or two, a coral beauty although they aren't always safe around corals, and maybe a blenny of some kind.

yeah a tang and a couple clowns. a yellow tang would be good but if you're going to get more than 1 tang make sure theres 3 or more, not 2. possibly a velentini puffer

Back
Top Bottom