What I need to start a 20 long

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mcgolg76

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Just got a 20 long with a stand and would like to set up my first sw tank. Trying to figure out what I need and trying not to got nuts spending money. I know larger tank is better for beginner sw but already have the tank and sand and no room for a bigger tank.

Is this equipment list correct?

25 lbs live sand
25 lbs of live rock. (Is 5lbs live abs rest non live ok

Hydrometer
Heater
2 power heads. What size? Is that enough for filtration? If not what else should I use.

Test kit. Can I use the API I use for my freshwater or do I need a diff one

Biggest question is lighting. Not sure if I want to have coral or not. I know it is a big price diff. What would you recommend for each set up

Anything else I am missing.

Ty

Just got a 20 long with a stand and would like to set up my first sw tank. Trying to figure out what I need and trying not to got nuts spending money. I know larger tank is better for beginner sw but already have the tank and sand and no room for a bigger tank.

Is this equipment list correct?

25 lbs live sand
25 lbs of live rock. (Is 5lbs live abs rest non live ok

Hydrometer
Heater
2 power heads. What size? Is that enough for filtration? If not what else should I use.

Test kit. Can I use the API I use for my freshwater or do I need a diff one

Biggest question is lighting. Not sure if I want to have coral or not. I know it is a big price diff. What would you recommend for each set up

Anything else I am missing.

Ty

the mix of dry rock and live rock is fine
power heads since the tank is 24' long I would do
2 450's one on either end blowing the length of the tank and a small 250 for the center of tank back wall
you will need a saltwater master kit
a 100 watt heater rated 20g or more
a hydrometer is fine but a refractometer is more acurate

as for lighting you could get a single Chinese dimmable led fixture about $100 on ebay it's identical to the more expensive tao unit

Would the two 450 and one 250 be suitable with the live rock for filtration. Along with water changes.

The lighting needs are the part that confuses me

I had a 20 long set up last year and all I had for it was 1 600, a hob refugium, and a 120 watt dimmable led that you can find on ebay for around $90 right now.

So ended up buying a new 29 gallon tank at petco $ per gallon sale. Will two koralia 425 still be ok or should I try a koralia evolution? Not gonna have a sump.

No that's the type you want. And on the power head question you'd be on the low end. I'd say 2 of the 600s would do better for you

Just to clarify is it the hydor koralia evolution pump that I want?

Ok so here is my revised equipment needed list.

29 gallon tank (purchased)
50gpd rodi (purchased)
Refractometer(purchased)
Taotronics led
100 watt heater
2 koralia evolutions 600s
35lbs of live rock.
35lbs live argonite sand Fiji pink

Am I missing anything? Does this look good?

Looks good, only things I would change is a bigger heater 200w maybe (I find heaters last longer if you get bigger than needed) and I would skip the live sand. It's not really "live" it's just wet and more expensive.

Maybe I am not looking in right spot but the live sand was as cheap as dry sand

Is any of my equipement going to be noisy. Koralia power heads or the taotronics lights. Thinking of maybe putting tank in bedroom now since none of my tanks are in there

Back
Top Bottom