What is a good inexpensive test kit for SW water hardness?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Saltwater hardness??? I don't think that's the term used. Is it calcium and alkalinity you're looking for? Or is it pH?

Red Sea's test kits for calcium are suppose to be easier to use and read. I think they're all a pain to deal with...LOL. Persoanlly, I've become accustomed to Salifert's Calcium test kit and Aquarium Pharmeceutical's alkalinity test kit. pH, I use Aquarium System's 'FasTest' test kits from their master marine kit (which also includes ammona, nitrite, and nitrate tests).

These are popular products carried by most stores that have aquarium supplies. Just do a Google search on the products to find where you can get them online.

YEs I have a PH, Nitrate, Nitrite, Ammonia, PO4 and calcium. However I do not know how hard my water is.

What does alkalinity measure? I thought it measured PH but I am gettign all confused here.

Besides what I listed what else do I need?

Alkainty is carbonate hardness. It measures the buffering capacity of the water. In other words, the ability to keep the pH steady.

Edited to add:

You will be fine with those test kits unless you start dosing specific trace elements. If you add something, you test for it.

If you have a nuissance algae problem, you may want a silicate test kit if your PO4 test isn't positive. Other than that, you got the essentials IMO.

I agree with ryguy, I would definitely invest in an alkalinity test kit having hard corals in a nano tank like you have. Wouldn't be a bad idea to keep an eye on the magnesium as well.

Back
Top Bottom