What is brown sediments that is settling on the bottom

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

aravindk

Aquarium Advice Activist
Pl. see the image. I get this brown color sediments forming on the live sand. I clean it (vaccum it or mix it up in the sand) almost every week. It keeps coming back. The tank is 5 months old.

Attachments

• img_2779_171.jpg
    img_2779_171.jpg
    33 KB · Views: 164
its hard to tell in the pic if its diatom or a cyno.. Can you get a closer pic...
diatom algae is a normal part of a new tank and will burn itself out over time. if it fluffy like or is it slimmy and if kicked up it floats around?

it does float around if kicked. the tank is five months old and I used to get this in the beginning and then it stopped. Now I am getting it all again. Is this normal?

A better ic would help with a 100% ID.. If its floats and is slimmy to the touch and is seen to have bubbles trapped in it then its cnyo bacteria. Do a search on the site and on the home page there are links to info.
What type of water do you have, tap or ro/di?
Have you checked for nitrates and phosphates?
Cyno is a pest algae and is hard to get rid of so you need to get on top of it when it first pops up to keep it under control.
Syphon it out when doing water changes to start.
You need to test the water and post numbers...

I have ro/di water. I have tested the water myself and also at the lfs. There is nothing seem wrong with th ewater. It does not look like cyno either. When I use the magnet to wipe of algae on glass, it flies away and settles down a little later. I will try and post the water parameteres later today.

Back
Top Bottom