what is the fastest and easiest way to cycle a new tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lampro

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
what is the fastest and easiest way to cycle a new tank? i want to cycle a tank in a week if possible
what is the easiest way to know that your tank is ready for corals?

There isn't a fast way to cycle. Nature will work as fast as it wants to.
The most simple way, and my usual recommendation, is to put a cocktail shrimp in some panty hose and throw it into the tank. It'll rot and provide a constant ammonia source, this way when your ammonia and nitrite levels reach 0 you know you are done as the shrimp should still be there rotting away. Then it being tied up in the panty hose makes for easy clean up.

Keep in mind, a cycle can be a month long process to establish enough beneficial bacteria to consume the ammonia and nitrites produced from fish waste.

Live sand and all live rock. Meaning really cycled rock.

At the lfs they dump in new rock on top of the older rock in the live rock tubs. If you can find honest people there they would tell you. The rock you get which is at the bottom might be more BB filled.

As in a discussion I had in one store the person there discussed it with me about the rocks to the back would be the ones which were there the longest, and how they basically drop in the dry not cycled rock into the tubs so they can begin cycling them and building BB. Like drop them in Monday and sell them on the weekend. Those rocks wouldn't be actually filled with BB.

A week is crazy fast. Trying to add fish or inverts before the tank is really cycled usually means dead livestock.

What size tank?

What livestock, and why the big hurry?

ive always used the shrimp method takes 3-4 weeks maybe longer sometimes

Back
Top Bottom