What is the ideal amount of flow?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BruceLeroy

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a 90 gal bow front, and am looking to buy a sump soon. What is the ideal amount of water I want to circulate with my return pump? I have heard a wide range from people from 500-900 gph.

I have also read that I don't want to run a bigger pump on my skimmer then my return pump. Is that true?

It makes sense to me to return the water somewhere in the middle of that range and skim it as much as possible. So far all I have is a mag 9.5 I inteded as a return pump, but I am now considering putting that on whatever skimmer I get and using something more along the lines of a mag 7 to return.

Just FYI my tank is 4' 2" high for the return plumbing, so I am thinking I will get about 750-800gph flow with the mag 9.5 if I used it as a return.

My concern about the higher flow right now is the limited size I will have for the sump/fuge since it has to fit under a bow front.

Help!?!?!?Thank you

I dont see anything wrong with that amount of flow. The mag 9.5 should be OK. I just run a seperate small pump on my skimmer.

You don't want your skimmer pulling more water in then your return pump is pushing out. Your sump will overflow.

Back
Top Bottom