What is this?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jataft83

Aquarium Advice Regular
I picked up a piece of live rock to help cycle my tank. When i got to my LFS they had a piece of LR with corral on it. When i got home today i looked at the tank and the piece of corral had it's "mouth" open like a clam. Can anyone help with what this is?

img_1391917_0_cd6bc6bdadb4eea3d70f9e47cb80ddb7.jpg

Why did you buy a bunch of corals for the cycle? The parameters won't be able to support them for long... Looks like you have some unhappy zoanthids and some other unhappy coral in the bottom left of the rock.

This is my first dip into saltwater. I guess i messed up.

You`ll need to do some PWC`s to keep the ammonia lower which in turn will prolong your cycle.

When I transferred my 30 into a 46 g I had corals. Well my 46 went ahead and cycled just like a brand new tank and the high ammonia killed my corals almost immediately. I would strongly advise you to ask your LFS if they'll house yours while your tank finishes cycling. That way you won't have to do PWC and make your cycle last longer. My LFS housed my candy cane which barely survived.

Gonna have to do PWC to keep ammo low, what are your lights btw? You can save them so long as you keep up on water changes, but your cycle is going to take quite some time as a result.

My lights are just standard to the 60g. i am looking at the marineland LEDs.

those marineland LEDs prob won't be enough light for a full reef system, they will be fine for some lower light corals. as well seeign as corals came on that rock its already has bacteria living in it so a cycle will be small but still may have some small ammonia spikes, depending how much cured rock or how long its been out of the water and how much die off there is

What should i get for lights then? That is one thing i don't fully understand.

I understand he will need to do a PWC to keep ammonia low if he keeps the corals in there. But if this tank has just started his cycle, why prolong it by doing PWC when a fish store can safely house the corals while the tank cycles instead of leaving the corals in there with ammonia. Just because you do a PWC doesn't mean all the ammonia is gone and the coral won't die, even a little ammonia can easily kill of corals. If it were me, I'd take it in and let my tank cycle. Actually that is what I did. When my tank started cycling I did PWCs at first and my ammonia still rose and killed everything. Just speaking from expirience. Why take the risk?

there are huge debates what people should get and how much light is required. i personally like T5ho lighting and would recommend it, they are efficiant cheap and powerful.

LED are efficiant and powerful also extremely controlable but are super expensive right now.

metal halide HIDs are the oldest of the old, tried and true, but they are power hungry and expensive.

I'd go with T5HO.
But like he said MH are tried and true and alot of reefers personal favorites.

Can anyone give me some examples for a 48" system? i honestly don't know anything about reef lights. i do know i want to house the easy to care for corrals.

how wide is your tank, for T5HOs its recommended one tube per 3-4" from front to back, but for most you cant really go wrong with a 4 lamp. you'd be able to house any coral and high lights in the mid to high levels of the aquarium

Back
Top Bottom