What is this????????

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

spongebobby

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
This is growing all over the glass and the LR seems to be turning brown and getting little hair like algae growing all over it? Is this normal? I am 20 days into cycle. My water parameters are spiked.
Amonia,Trites are spiked higher than my test shows,Trates are at about 200ppm, Total Hardness 425ppm , Total Alkalinity 240 ppm , PH is at 8.3. What should i do???????

it looks like diatoms. They will burn themselves out before long. It is a natural thing in a new tank. You can scrape it off but it will come back pretty quick. You can possibly add a cleanup crew of some hermits to keep it off the substrate and rock. Snails will help the glass but you should wait until ammonia and nitrites are 0 before adding them.

Thanks for the help....I was planning a 25 % water change this Sat.

This is my tank story????

Set-up tank with pre-made water from LFS.Only had 25 lbs. LS in it for week. Ordered 15 lbs cured LR and put it in tank on day 7 of cycle.It Had lots of die-off so i figured i would just cure it in tank.Ordered 45 lbs Fiji from Liveaquaria and 10 lbs Gulf LR from LR.com. Ran all pumps and skimmers for the week and recieved my LR (45 lbs) on day 14 of cycle and cleaned it and put it in tank.On day 15 received LR.com order (10 lbs.) had a bunch of life so i just dipped in used tank water that i took out of tank and put it in tank. Now the ammonia spiked out about day 10 and was down to almost zero before the new addition of LR last week. Now tonight my ammonia,trites,trates are all spiked once again and there is little green blades of grass like algea growing on all the LR along with it turning Brown,and the brown growing on the tank glass.I have not done any water changes just top offs using ro/di water from LFS. Tank is starting to look pretty ugly.I run actinics from 8am-5pm then full spectrum and actinics from 5pm-10pm then 4 lunar lights till the following morning at 8am. Should i have the powerheads blowing directly on the LR ? Did i basically start my cycle over last Thurs when i put in the LR? Sorry for the long post.

Any suggestions??????

Looks like diatoms. Your still cycling, its pretty normal. It will go away eventually when the water quality improves.
Increasing the water flow would help and you could cut back the photoperiod a bit. Your rock does not need that much right now.

Back
Top Bottom