what kind of protien skimmer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Is a protien skimmer necessary?

IMO, if you are just getting started, yes. Although some experienced aquarists run very successful tanks without them, I think you should start out using one. Are you using a sump or will you need a HOB type? My favorite in sump model is the Red Sea Berlin with a Mag 7 pump. For a HOB, I'd go with the Berlin HOB or the Aqua C Remora (get the Pro if you can afford it). Use a Mag Drive pump...stay away from the Rios. If you go with the regular Remora, get the Maxi Jet pump. If you're really on a budget, try a Prizm although you will not get anywhere near the performance that the others will deliver. JMHO.

BTW, if anyone is willing to put a skimmer on their tank for a week and then drink what's in the cup, I'll concede that they aren't necessary :lol: .

It's just a little small (underpowered) for a tank that size. It's better than nothing, but inferior to the Berlin HOB or the Aqua C.

I use what is a relatively inexpensive and simple skimmer for a 56 gal tank, and one that often is criticized by more experienced, sophisticated hobbyists: the Seaclone. But I would say it is very easy to assemble and use, and seems to be doing a good job based on everything I have read and heard in terms of what it is supposed to do. I have been pleased with it and would recommend it, I suppose for a not-too-challenging tank.

But, I imagine that this recommendation will now be criticized...so, you'll have to decide for yourself and accept that fact that no matter what you choose, someone may belittle it!

For the money and efficiency i've got two words.....Aqua C Remora protein skimmer, Aqua C Remora protein skimmer, Aqua C Remora protein skimmer...

I use the CPR Bak Pak IIR. It works awsome, though the Rio Powerhead is loud as all get out. Is there a Power Head I could use that does the same thing as the Rio, but is quiter?

Peace

Edge

AquaC Remora is easily the most efficient, consistent, and intelligently designed skimmer I've EVER used.

Back
Top Bottom