What kind of water to cure LR ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

IfoundNemo

Aquarium Advice Freak
Just got another 45 bls fiji LR in today. My tank has been cycled over a month. The amonia and nitrite readings are at 0 . I don't want to cure the new LR in the main tank due to amonia and nitrite issues. I'm going to fill a 30gal bucket with newly mix SW, and cure the LR in there. Should i mix the salt with regular tab or RO water? TIA

as long as your tap's not full of toxic heavy metals, it should be fine. just remember to use a dechlorinator, in addition to adding the salt.

May I suggest using water from the main tank instead of brand new, sterile SW. It would be somewhat better than using new SW. (maybe pulled from your last water change).

Also, if you have any existing biological filtration that you could borrow from the main tank get it in there with some water movement. It would at least give life on the rock a chance to survive.

Think of the LR as living...treat it like a fish. Your curing tank is essentially a brand new aquarium, and we all know that brand new aquariums can't support life until they cycle.

If you haven't received the rock yet, there may still be time to cycle your curing tank before it arrives.

A heater and PH should be included so as to keep the water up to tank temp and to provide water movment around the rock.

I would just use the tap water or as someone else mentioned from a water change I used fresh tap water when I cured my rock I felt no need to use the RO for curing.

SeriousDude5 said:
I would just use the tap water or as someone else mentioned from a water change I used fresh tap water when I cured my rock I felt no need to use the RO for curing.

I agreed. I used tab water, add chlorine remover, mix with Oceanic salt to SG 1.023, set up a PH, heater set to 80F, and let the rocks cure till ready for main tank.

Update. The rocks are now in my main tank, and the colors are beggining to show in some spots. Its alive :)

Back
Top Bottom