What kinds of fish should I start with after the cycle?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

courtneyclv

Aquarium Advice Activist
I am going to bring a water sample to my LFS after three weeks to see if my tank is ready for fish.

I want to have non-aggressive fish in my tank, very colorful that get along! I heard that clowns are good at first. Can I start with a clown and anemone? (I have a two 50/50 coralifes 60watt total..LFS said it is enough for anemone)

What can I add after that and how soon?

My bf got a hermit and he seems to be doing well in the cycling tank. (I hope..poor guy)

What kinds of nice looking fish can I have with an anemone or two?

And how many fish for 78 gallon long, short tank?

Can I start with a clown and anemone? (I have a two 50/50 coralifes 60watt total..LFS said it is enough for anemone)

Clown, yes. Anemone's need an established tank.

I have found myself changing my mind on what fish I would like to add. I would look at a few sites, read about them and ask here what would be a good idea, otherwise you end up with every one's opinions (which is good), but might end up getting confused.

My bf got a hermit and he seems to be doing well in the cycling tank. (I hope..poor guy)

Hopefully he will make it, they tend to be very intolerant of poor water conditions...You took the damsels back...right....?

Here are a couple sites, but son't go adding anything living in your tank until the cycle has completed.

http://www.liveaquaria.com/
http://www.saltwaterfish.com/
these two are have good prices on supplies:
https://www.thatpetplace.com/
https://www.thatpetplace.com/
like test kits/salt/vitamins and such....

Yea, I would avoid the anemone in the beginning. Once established maybe. But clowns wil be fine without one.

Some suggestions:

a small school of green chromis
a blenny (lawnmower or bicolor)
royal gramma
firefish
flame hawk
yellow tang

These would all be reasonably easy first fish to try. Not all in the same tank or at once ;) Just some suggestions.

? (I have a two 50/50 coralifes 60watt total..LFS said it is enough for anemone)
I hate to tellyou this, but that is no where near enough light for an anemone. Plus, as mentioned, the tank needs to be more mature.

As far as fish go, some clowns, such as clarkii and maroon can be quite aggressive, all depends on the species. Now is the time to read and do your planning. Some fish need to be added in groups, some need to be added last (the more aggressive ones). Plot it out, then plan your purchases, allowing for a couple weeks between buys for the fish to settle in and your tank to adjust to the new bioload.

Now is also a good time to plan your quarantine strategy. As one group comes out of qtine, the next purchases can be going in..that kind of thing.

Now is also a good time to plan your quarantine strategy.

Good point, I totally forgot about that! Nice recommendation!

Well Mr. Crabby is doing quite well. He is cruising around the tank and already found a new shell to live in! He seems very happy. Water is newer but in good condition..I checked it earlier.

Which clown is a good one for the tank that is not too aggressive? I will stay away from a Maroon and clarkii. When I get one, I will try to make sure that when I do get an anemone..it will become 'friendly' with it later on.

I do love Royal Gammas. Will those get a long with a tang? I am thinking about getting some kind of tang, not yellow, and a Royal Gamma, first.

Courtney

not bad, they should be fine, may be a bit of aggression but should be ok. I would add maybe an ocellaris or cinnamon first, wait a bit, then your gramma and tang. A Kole may be a good choice, they are really cool btu a bit shy. Regal would not be too hard either, or a sailfin. Whatever really cathces your eye. Stick witha bit smaller tang, and a PBT or achilles ma ybe a bit much for a beginner. Anyway, HTH.

Thank you for all of your help everyone!

I looked at the ocellaris and cinnamon clowns. What about a true percula?

So I have a plan so far...a clown, then a gramma, then a smaller tang...then when my tank is all good and ready..an anemone for the clown.

These kinds of fish will not bother any inverts if I decide to get some? (a coral)

How many fish can I have in my 75 gallon tank?

:)

Back
Top Bottom