What level of nitrite is considered dangerous?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kade

Aquarium Advice Regular
What level of nitrite is considered dangerous? Mine is at about 0.25 and I don't know if that is bad for the fish?
Thank you in advance

Basically any level of nitrite is bad jsut not as much in your case. the higher the level is the less the fish can breath essentially. If yoqu have the api test kit then it should have a manual thatll tell you whats what

I would do a water change and get that nitrite down to 0. Any amount can be bad for your fish and/or corals.

How long has your tank been up and how did you cycle it?

Contrary to popular beliefs, nitrite is not very toxic to marine fish. It's much more harmful to freshwater fish. However, you should try to find out the source of the nitrites.
Nitrite and the Reef Aquarium by Randy Holmes-Farley - Reefkeeping.com
"In reality, nitrite probably is not toxic enough to warrant measuring in most marine systems."
"In the only published article that I could find showing toxicity tests to typical reef aquarium fish, Tom Frakes and Bob Studt exposed tank-raised clownfish to nitrite concentrations ranging from 0 to 330 ppm in artificial seawater. Two of five fish died after a few days at 330 ppm. At 33 ppm (the next dose down from 330 ppm), the fish were lethargic and breathing with difficulty, but otherwise experienced no lasting problems. At 3.3 ppm nitrite no effects were observed."

Back
Top Bottom