what might I get myself into?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dave6093

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
i have been reading and reading for the past week now learning about saltwater aquariums. i am really thinking about getting into this new hobby. but what am i really getting myself into.
i have a 45 gallon tank complete with stand ready for any type of use. i have a little, tetra hang on side filter. (prob wont use) and a heater that is good to use
i would like to have a live rock, reef tank with fish.
i know that it is very expensive.. but how expensive?
i am willing to spend about $500 this figure is not including fish, its just to get me started.
if its going to well above $500 then i will just stick to fresh water.
if its under or relatively around $500, could you name some good brands i should stick to. or better yet, give me a list of essentials ;)

like i said i am new to this but i am learning..
thanks

All at one time will be over 500 dollars but if you go slow and add a little at a time it might still be over 500 dollars but it will be over a period of time.

You will get yourself into a never ceasing to be amazed at what happens in the oceans of the world while witnessing it on a small scale in your home. That first year there are things popping out of live rock that make you wonder where they came from and how they survived. And, that's just for starters.

As Mike said, GO SLOW. It may cost more in the long run, but you will get there. Besides, nothing good ever happens quickly in a salt water aquarium ;)

OK, you've probably read these already, but let point you at some reading...

Stock list and tips for maintaining your SW tank

How to cycle your tank with out the use of fish

Quarantine article and
An Ounce of Prevention is Worth a Pound of Cure: A Quarantine Tank for Everything by Steven Pro

Oh and,

welcometoaa.gif

lighting might cost you around 300-400 alone. you could always search the forums and craigslist for used components.

Thank you for the welcome and thanks for all of the advice.
I must say, you might have just sold me with that "opening saltwater aquarium" paragraph. Haha
I would still like to start a salt water fish tank but I am going to have to really think about every thing.
Now as far as starting slow.. What do you guys mean? Get the essentials and just get a very small section of live rock with fish? Or start with just fish?
Thanks again

IMO go ahead and get the Salt mix and mix it with water and then put the live/base rock and sand in the tank. It will take you about 6 to 8 weeks to cycle the tank. Then when that`s done you can start to buy the other stuff you need. That way you dont have to buy it all at one time.

I am thinking about getting most of the stuff I need off eBay or craigslist. Is there any thing that I shouldnt get used? And how about live rock... Should I get that used online if it's for a good price?

I hate to go used, but the priced of the things are pretty steep

As far as rock just get some dry base rock and it will become live over time. It will be much cheaper.

Saltwater systems are expensive. Like Mr. X stated the lights alone will run you ~$300-$400, then you will more then likely need a skimmer if you are going reef. Fishes are cheap compare to some of the corals. Then there is the test kit for this or that. LR runs $6-9 a pound and oh yeah you more then likely will need a sump. and if you are in a hot area you will need to get a chiller...$400 or more. I am not trying to scare you or anything I am just being honest. and the list goes on...There is no way you can do a 45g for $500.00. You could take it slow, but reef tanks are very additive and you will surely be addicted to it too.

Last edited:
There is no way you can do a 45g for $500.00.
i talked my girlfriend into a small tank for her bedroom. it was a 30 gallon cube style tank. she was into it $1500 before we added a single living thing.
we DIY'd what we could and bought some sub-standard ebay lights too...

I've have started my 75 gal " triggerfish" tank and without going super tricky ,so far I estimate I'm in it for around $1500-$1700 ,...I'd rather do things right from the start then try to undo things later,..take your time and enjoy the ride.

...There is no way you can do a 45g for $500.00. ...

Totally agree with this - unless you find an absolutely killer deal on a bunch of used stuff. But even then, you will still easily lay down at least $1000 in the first year.

Like the others, I don't mean to scare you off - I have gotten far more enjoyment (and education!) out of this hobby than I even anticipated. But definitely go into this with your eyes open and put together a list of everything you'll need and put a $$ figure to it. You'll be amazed at how fast it adds up - and that doesn't even include livestock.

I never would have thought this much.. I think I am going to have to stick to freshwater aquariums. I think it would be very interesting just to watch my mini ocean but it's just too much.
I think I'll start a semi planted freshwater. And I can just watch grass grow.. Haha
Mini cubes are even expensive. I don't think it would too enjoyable. Just so limited.
Well I thank everyone who helped me. I learned alot. One day I'll start a SW tank

you can do a simple salt water fish tank. with or without live rock (i prefer with), and then graduate into a reef down the road. just make sure you pick all "reef safe" fish.

A FOWLR (fish only with live rock) doesn't require much in the way of lighting, but you will need to keep to a weekly 10% or biweekly 20% partial water change. You can start with 75% base rock or more and add a few pieces of LR. The LIVE refers to being colonized by the beneficial bacteria. LR can also mean it has coralline algae on it and possibly some pods, or other life that will sprout out of it over time.

That should be good for about a year. Then you'll want to add some low light corals and that's when the money starts to kick in. Year two is when you have enough experience you start thinking about a sump/fuge; better lights, protein skimmer, etc.

Dave., don't give in so fast., just take your time and figure out just what you're actually going to need and buy things slowly, use ebay or whatever it takes to save a few bucks , talk to the folks at your LFS and see what you're actually going to "really" need and take it from there,.it's kinda like giving up smoking,..when you're really ready to do it then there's no stopping you,...for me this is something that I've wanted to get back into after a long absence, I had a large SW tank for ten years or more so I have a pretty good idea of what it takes and what I wanted to do differently,...it's just another challenge, but I think the rewrds are well worth it,...you might be able to do this on a budget if you plan it right, you have the tank and stand already so the rest is frugal shopping.....take your time ask a lot of questions , then ask them again and do it. Best of luck, Dary

Alright let's just say I were to go with a FOWLR or may be just a chunk of live rock and the rest just rocks, how much will this cost? All I would need is a wet/ dry filter or a DIY sump, Heater, Overflow box, return pump, some rocks, sand ( life or just reg sand?), and salt mixture. Correct? prob around 250ish right? If I have every thing right..
This is a very hard choice.. I don't want to spend any crazy money but the payoff is pretty spectacular

Edit:
Almost forgot lighting.. I will use my original lighting, if that possible

It's gonna be close or just over. Depends on where you get everything.

Base rock
Fiji Live Rock

Aragonite sand - dry ~ $70

DIY sump ~ $70

Overflow box ~ $100

Return Pump Mag 7 ~ $100

Heater ~$35

Power Heads (2) ~$80

Salt 200 gallon !$45

If you're looking for budget, you don't need a sump and related pump/plumbing. It's nice for the extra water volume, but it does add cost and complication.

If you don't want to go with a reef, then yeah... $500 is doable. If you keep your stock levels down, you can probably skip the protein skimmer so that will save you.

So for a sumpless budget 45g FOWLR, using your existing tank and lighting, you're looking at...

Substrate/sand
Rock (45 lbs of "base" rock, 20 lbs of "mature" rock with critters)
200W Heater (or 2x 100W heaters)
2x Powerheads for circulation
Thermometer
Algae cleaner magnet or scraper

Ammonia/nitrite/nitrate/pH test kits
Refractometer
Quarantine tank/HOB filter/heater
Bucket of salt

Something to store salt water in between water changes
Powerhead and heater for the saltwater storage

Use of tap water can lead to algae issues down the road, so either buying a RO/DI water filtration unit, or buying RO/DI water somewhere is a good idea. But if that's not in the budget, just remember to factor in a good dechlorinator.

Back
Top Bottom