What next?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hara

Aquarium Advice Addict
Ok, tank is not cycled yet, but what are the first things I should be thinking about putting in there after it is? Crabs? Do I have to physically see algae in the tank to have it ready? What other signs do I look for?

I bought 2 more large pieces of LR yesterday. That is 4 now! Still adding, would have gotten more, but it is coming from an established tank and the LFS guy could not remove the creatures living in the holes...go figure.

BTW, have I told you guys how great you are for your patience?

*hugs*

Once the tank is cycled (ie no detectable ammonia or nitrite) your ready to add a few fish. You have a very nice size tank in your 150 so you could probably get buy with 3 fish to start out with.

Ideally you should use this time to think about what types of fish you would like to keep overall. Develop a list...

Post the list here so that you can get advice as to the order to add these fish. Many times the order you add the fish is just as important as the types of fish you add.

Remember the general rule of 1" of adult fish per 5 gal of water.

If your adding LR from an established tank then your tank will probably cycle much faster than if you used uncured rock. Observe your live rock not only with the lights on but also with the lights off. I think you will be amazed at what kind of life you have on your seemingly boring rocks.

Fish I would "like" to have....

Ok, this is what I have narrowed the list down to...My husband and I would really like to figure out a way to have a snowflake eel, I do not think it is do-able with other fish, if I am wrong, please let me know.

List
1. chocolate chip starfish is being given to us because it outgrew its tank.
2. Sailfin Tang
3. Blue Tang-Pacific
4.Assorted clown fish
5. Lemonpeel angel
6. firefish goby
7. mandarin goby
8. auriga butterflyfish
9. henischus butterflyfish

an assortment of easy keeping corals.
crabs and snails

of course, all of this is open to discussion and nothing is set in stone..but boy, we really like the eel....

Here's my opinionated opinion.

1. chocolate chip starfish is being given to us because it outgrew its tank.
Give it to the LFS - see if you can get credit for it. Not reef safe.

2. Sailfin Tang
cool

3. Blue Tang-Pacific
double cool (they get big)

4.Assorted clown fish
Assorted clown fish will probably fight (they are in the damsel family). A couple perculas or clarkiis would be a nice addition. Grow yourself a huge hairy mushroom to host them.

5. Lemonpeel angel
Never had one. May argue with tangs and butterflys.

6. firefish goby
Jumpers (carpet surfers). Never had luck with these guys. They shoal tho and therefore are pretty cool.

7. mandarin goby
Your tank's not ready for these. You need 100# more LR and several months to get your tank established with a HUGE population of amhipods to eat.

8. auriga butterflyfish
I wouldn't. Difficult to keep. May pick at corals. Tangs will beat 'em up.

9. henischus butterflyfish
see above.

Suggestions:
-A shoal of 6 green chromis
-Blue linkia(sp?) star
-Bangaii Cardinal or two, male & female (very cool fish)
-LOTS more LR. Look into mail order, probably 1/4 the price your LFS is charging and it will cycle your tank as it cures, providing huge populations of nitrifying bacteria, making you ready for anything.

I love your tank. It's a great size and will make a greater reef. Keep up the good work.

Mark

-LOTS more LR. Look into mail order, probably 1/4 the price your LFS is charging and it will cycle your tank as it cures, providing huge populations of nitrifying bacteria, making you ready for anything.

Check out www.ffexpress.com or www.petwarehouse.com for decent prices on live rock. I am gonna order myself 1 box of the 45# for $95 from flyingfishexpress myself. After shipping that comes to $3.31/lb. Not a bad price at all.

Of course you will have to cure the rock yourself. No big deal since this is a new tank. Curing the rock can be consitered your cycle. Once the rock is cured your tank is also cycled.

I agree with Anemoneman, and would add, Lemon Peel Angels are notorious for picking on sessile inverts. I have never even heard of one that didn't pick at corals constantly. I've made this mistake before, pygmy angels for a reef are dubious at best, I would recommend the Cherub (C. argi) or the brazillian flameback (C. auranyonotus) and maybe a flame angel (C. loriculus) if you feel lucky :wink:

Back
Top Bottom