what next?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I shall explain the simpliest way possible...

Cycling with a cocktail shrimp from the grocery store is the best way to go. The advice she gave you is out of date. We now realize it is cruel & inhumane for the fish to go through the cycling process. The shrimp is doing the same thing as the fish would be though - it is providing the bacteria something to feed off of & therefore creating ammonia, then nitrites, and finally nitrates. The bacteria doesn't care if it is a dead shrimp, or fish poop, it just needs something to break down.

As far as hyposalinity goes, I don't see the point in this. Once you are done cycling you will just have to raise your salinity back to more natural living levels. Maybe she suggested this so you wouldn't have to worry as much about acclimination, but that is still not a good idea.
Feel free to correct me if I am wrong, though.

HTH

thanks i think i understand it now.

do sponge filters need to be connected to a power head?

is there anything in general you want me to know about adding sand live, rock, ect?

Sponge filters are the sponges in the filters. I think you are talking about a sponge filter covers the intake of a ph to keep you critters from getting sucked in.
As for sand, rinse it, put it in a bucket, fill, stir, pour out the top of the water, repeat 3-5 times. I just did 240Lbs of it today, so it's not that hard.
LR, shift it to the bottom of the tank, so when you get sand stirrers/borrowers, so they don't get under the LR and topple it.

its not possible to cycle a tank without sand and rock right?

You would have to have a HOB filter or sump with media for bacteria to cultivate in like sponge, bio-balls, bio-wheel, ect...

Cycling with lr would be much more beneficial then other media because the other medias tend to collect waste easier which leads to excess no3 levels.

I would wait personally till you can do it with sand/lr.

ok i will hold off a little longer
should i cycle the quarentine tank the same time as the the main tank or sooner?

Definitely sooner, so you can QT your new additions while you are waiting for your tank to cycle, that way you have some time to decide what you want to add....

do sponge filters move water? or is it just there to house bacteria?

Sponge filters are mostly used to capture large particles in SW aquariums. Usually you will see them on ph to keep fish/inverts from getting sucked up in them. You also find them in HOB and canister filters mostly to capture larger particles before it goes onto the next media.

Sponge filters do house bacteria that converts the nh3 to no3 but if not rinsed frequently (weekly) then the waste that builds up on them which increases your no3. You want to rinse them in SW not fresh/tap or else you could kill off the bacteria. Easiest way is to rinse them out when doing your weekly pwc in the old water.

If you can avoid using sponges I would since they can be a pain to keep clean and will elevate your no3 levels. A skimmer works much better in removing DOC and since it traps the waste outside of the water (in the collection cup) it will not increase your no3.

would a sponge filter work in a quarentine tank? or would you recommend to set it up a different way?

thanks

It could work in a QT, make sure you take it out before adding any medications.

marty_wolff said:
what would be the ideal QT tank in your view?

a simple 10g-40g (depending on how many and/or how large of fish you have), a heater, and a sponge filter work just fine for most situations. You can dose many types of meds. with a sponge filter present and once treatment is over you can empty tank, soak sponge in separate fw container, bleach qt tank, and dechlor. (sts) for next time.

how do you get the exchange of oxygen and carbon dioxide without an air stone??

sponge filters usually have a male adapter where the airline connects, thus pushing air down into a chamber, which draws water into the sponge, and releases air back out the top. Not sure if that's what you were asking...:s

You can also use a power head to ripple the surface for oxygen exchange.

should i leave the qt tank open topped or covered with egg crate(where can i get this)

do qt tanks need a light?

No need for lights on qt, just room light. You want the fish to de-stress. I keep mine open but have not had any that are known to jump, probably should have some kind of cover. You can get egg crate at Home depot or lowes Its actual lighting grid for suspended ceiling. In homedepot its usually kept where they have the fluorescent lights on display.

Back
Top Bottom