What non-aquarium maintenance tools do you use?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

reefrunner69

Aquarium Advice Addict
I, like other reefers, have several maintenance tool that I use that you can't/don't get at the LFS, I'm wondering what you guys use on your aquarium that you gotta buy at walmart or home depot that you can't live without.

Probably the most essential tool I have is a toothbrush. I use the toothbrush for everything it seems, it is great for scrubbing patches of hair algae if they pop up, for scrubbing hard to reach places in my skimmer, to rake algae out of the GSP when it pops up, etc...

Next is a couple of bottle brushes, for cleaning the J tube and cleaning out the overflow box.

And, of course, I have a turkey baster and razor blades. Today I purchased a new aquarium tool from the feed store 8O a syringe and some needles.

So what all do ya'll use and what do you use it for?

Other than the ones you have already mentioned I also use bamboo skewers for soft coral fragging or inserting frags into small holes. I also use it to clean the air tubes in my skimmer.

Haven't used a turkey baster but instead a baby doser which looks like a miniature baster.

I also use squirt bottles to keep top off water for the nano's. The ones you see at retaurants for ketchup. :p

I think by and large the toothbrush gets the most use. (leave it alone :wink: )

Cheers
Steve

I can't really add much to the list. I have finished wearing out a couple of toothbrushes on my tanks though.

my petco pals card rarely saves me anything at petco, but it does make a great scraper for the glass ... plus every visit to petco gets me a fresh card with nice sharp edges

hrmm, maybe it's not a true "non-aquarium" tool ... but it's good none the less

Along with what has already been said, I use a toilet brush(the type that looks like a big bottle brush) For my skimmer & knuckle brushes for the LR. And my favorite for those pieces that wont come apart my Leathermen.

I use a toothbrush, and that is all really. I dont have all that much algae that is undesirable in visible places

Well, I have more cyano than you could imagine in the fuge, along with lots of nasty brown crap. I have the brown on the sides of my tank, but you cant see from the sides. I just use my magfloat and run it over the front every other day or so to keep the brown from spreading. BUT on my 5.5 I still have a southdown storm, and there may be some algae in this one. But right now I think I am gonna dump all the sand out, then rinse some, and then put the sand in, and then add the water slowly.

EMS503 said:
Along with what has already been said, I use a toilet brush(the type that looks like a big bottle brush) For my skimmer & knuckle brushes for the LR.
And my favorite for those pieces that wont come apart my Leathermen.
what is that?

baby bottle brushes and the little brushes for the nipples work great also.

alrmc4 said:
EMS503 said:
Along with what has already been said, I use a toilet brush(the type that looks like a big bottle brush) For my skimmer & knuckle brushes for the LR.
And my favorite for those pieces that wont come apart my Leathermen.
what is that?

leatherman.jpg

If you are asking what a leatherman is.. the finest pocket knife / tool since the swiss army knife. I could not get by with out my leatherman.

I picked up a extra-long pair of wooden tongs at the dollar store. Now I can pick up my snails and other things from the bottom of my tank. (a big help since the aquarium is at work).

My favorite scrubbing utensil is a plastic looking brillo pad. It does not scratch the glass and makes short work of algae growth.

a big-ol stainless steel bowl. When changing filter media or taking parts out for cleaning I always have my trusty bowl next to the tank to put the parts in. Much less dripping on the floor in the living room and across the kitchen.

thank you for answer on that tool how have i lived without that in my tackle box think another trip to the store is in order soon :twisted:

Yep, I had one a while ago, but one of my teenagers took it to do something with it and I haven't seen it since. I'm thinking I'll have me another one that no one knows about by tmorrow afternoon ;)

Back
Top Bottom