What should i add to my sw tank??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

superdave07

Aquarium Advice Freak
I want to know is there any other filters or anything to keep my tank healthy, it's a 20g 34x70x5 tank I have 20 lb of live sand and 7 lb of live rock I'm going to add 10 more lb. I have two Fluval u1 now.

Attachments

• image-1841636185.jpg
    image-1841636185.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 281
  • image-2029021587.jpg
    image-2029021587.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 303
Thats only a 20 gallon? I’m confused on that . Im assuming you mean a couple corals. If you want a reef tank you will have to tell use more about your lighting.

Your inwall setup is nicely done. Please don't rush into this and head the advice of folks like Mr. X and austinsdad among other heavy posters who are very conservative among others. It is only for the sake of the inhabitants whom are entrusting their lives to you. Please don't take this as an attack as we are a community here. Look forward to your progress!

it's going to be somewhat tough lighting that tank effectively enough to keep corals. with 4"-5" front to back all you'll be able to fit over it would be a 2 lamp fixture. perhaps a 2 x 80 watt t-5 HO fixture would be the best bet.
here is the cheap version-
60" T5 HO Aquarium Light Hood Strip 2x 80W Marine 5 ft | eBay

...but a much better option would be this-
5 Ft Aruba Sun V Shaped 2x80 Watt T5HO Retrofit Kit With Moonlight LEDs,Hamilton Lighting,Aruba Sun,Retro Lighting,Retrofit Lighting,Canopy Light,T5HO

or this...
https://thecompletereef.com/shop/ca...ArU2xIn1lml3dgm9jgDcwrkQf9F20DWlHLbb5KsNxpkw9

even with the best of those, you'll only be able to keep some soft corals and possibly lower light sps towards the top half of the tank.

with such a small amount of water you should be able to keep the tank healthy with just weekly partial water changes. i wouldn't waste the money on a skimmer. all the nano skimmers out there don't work that well anyway.

you would place it so it looks nice.
now you want to cycle this tank. do you have ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate test kits?
if you don't, you'll need them. if you do, you'll want to add an ammonia source to start a cycle. if the rock doesn't raise ammonia levels considerably, you'll want to add some manually. some use pure ammonia, but i like to use a piece of raw fish or shrimp from the supermarket. once raw cocktail shrimp will do the job well.

a 48" fixture over a70" tank? not only will you not be able to keep corals, but it will also look bad because you'll have shadows at either end.

a 48" fixture over a70" tank? not only will you not be able to keep corals, but it will also look bad because you'll have shadows at either end.
Ok I was looking for a 60" but they most come 4" and up on wide

all i can say is, it's pretty important to cram as much light as you can over this tank if you want to keep photosynthetic creatures. this tank is very deep top to bottom. i would risk the extra half inch and get two eighty watt bulbs instead of two 54 watt bulbs, but that's just me.

i linked three 2 x 80 watters on the previous page.

i don't think those 18 watt lamps will penetrate the water very well dave.

you could also retro some 3 watt LEDs across it...that would work too.

mr_X said:
i linked three 2 x 80 watters on the previous page.

i don't think those 18 watt lamps will penetrate the water very well dave.

you could also retro some 3 watt LEDs across it...that would work too.

How dose the retro work?

they work the same way as a fixture, except they don't have the pretty plastic around the guts. you have an in-wall setup anyway, so you aren't going to see the unit from the viewing side.

Back
Top Bottom