What should i do?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tomchong22

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Well I am just about ready to start up my aquarium. I have everything ready to go but I have one quick question... I have a 60 gal aquarium with 40lbs of live sand and 15lbs of crushed coral. What should I lay down first? The sand then the crushed coral on top or the other way around?

I would not add the CC. The sand will eventually go to the bottom leaving the CC on the top. This in turn will trap fish waste causing high nitrates in the tank. That will end up causing nuisance algea to grow because of the high nitrates. Save yourself some trouble and use sand only. Your CUC will be able to sift through the sand and help keep it clean.

I added a very small amount ( a ratio probably around 1:10 ) to my sand bed so that burrowing fish can use the pieces when making a new home. Other then that i don't see much of a use for it like the others have said.

Wow never would have gave it that much thought. I might Add a small amount to the top...like a 1 to 10 thing just to add a more natural look to the sand bed. Thanks everybody great advice

Back
Top Bottom