What should I do for a skimmer?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bnortz

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hey guys I'm in a bit of a dilemma on what I should do. My 60 Gallon is currently cycling with about 40 lbs. of LS and 60 lb. of LR and 6 snails. I'm going to be QTing my first fish soon. As of now, i dont have a sump or skimmer. I can't seem to find a sump that fits under my stand as I only have about 19 inches of width for anything to fit under. What I want your guy's opinion on is whether I should just get a HOB Skimmer or if i should somehow find a sump which I would also need a Overflow and then the in sump skimmer. I'm leaning towards the HOB skimmer because it will save me a lot of money and I could get it faster but I'm aware that they're less affective then in sump. Let me know what you all think. Thanks.

That is going to depend on if you have other equipment you want to add to the tank. If you think down the road you will add a media reactor or want a refugium then you may want to spring for the sump now. If you don't think your tank will need much else then a having a sump won't really be critical for you and just stick with a HOB. Which ever route you chose stay away from coralife skimmer... or really coralife anything.

I think I'm gonna just wait until I get enough $ for a sump and everything else. I found a guy who makes acrylic tanks for a living and he could make one to my needs. Though more costly, i'm gonna go down that road.

Back
Top Bottom