What should my first fish be? Suggestions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fireman26m

Aquarium Advice Freak
Ok....my tank will be finished cycling in a few weeks I hope....iv got the QT setup and ready to go. I would love to hear what you guys would suggest. I also have a HUGE list of fish I might want over the next few years but that will be another thread to let everyone help me narrow it down to the right ones.

Also, any suggestions for a "star" for the tank later on will be appreciated.

Thanks ladies and gentleman!

hey, I have pretty much the same setup as you. The first fish I got were 3 green chromis. They are pretty hardy, I kept mine and have had them for about a year. They're reef safe and they add some action to the tank. I would start out with something hardy, careful with damsels. My friend had one that picked on all the other fish, It was so hard to catch it when we gave him back to the LFS.

Ordered a lighting system yesterday. I got the Current USA Satellite 4x65w system. It was all I could afford for now. What corals or other critters will I be able to support with this setup once my tank is established?

Once cycled, how about a pair of tank raised perc clowns. They are extremely heartly and very reef safe. I see from your profile you want to do a reef.

Ditto on the percs. I would stay away from Damsels as well, they are very mean. People use them to cycle their tanks but they are very hard to catch once you want to get them out. With your LR and LS you should not need to cycle with fish, this is rather cruel anyways. It may take a bit longer to cycle but whats the hurry? if you plan on starting a reef later be careful on your fish selection now. Start planning your list with livestock that is reef-safe so you don't run into problems later. you could try a small yellow tang as well. They do not cost a lot and when properly QT before going into the display tank do pretty well. Although a 55 gal may be a bit too small for a large tang. A stripped cleaner shrimp would be nice and a "must" if you have a tang. Mine keeps my purple tank nie and clean. It sounds like you are on the right track, the best advice I can give is to research, research, research before you buy livestock and resist those "impulse buys" when at the store. Good luck and keep us posted on the progress...Lando

I have a very similar tank to you as well. I am about to add a pair of percs

Personally...I'm partial towards Clarks Clowns...Maroon s also...but the Maroon can be quite agressive thus may have to be added after other fish have been introduced...

I'm partial to the Clarks and the B&W clowns....wife want Oscellaris because it's "Nemo!!"....lol

You think a mated pair or just any two would be good?

I am going to get a pair of Percs as soon as my tank is done cycling, after that who knows. probibly a watchman goby, and maybe a banded butterfly and a cardnal fish, I still need to do research, but deciding now before your in the pet shop is the way to go!

Back
Top Bottom