What size sump for a 125gal Reef tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

raym94

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I really have two questions. First, what size sump is appropriate for a 125 gal tank? Second, the tank I am setting up has 2 overflowes. Would it be benefitial to have 2 separate sumps? Maybe having one contain the skimmer and the other be a large refugium. Any help you could give would be much appreciated. Thanks

I am setting up a 135 tank and I have 2 1" overflows and 1, 1" 1/2 return with a T. My sump is a little less then 55g but I think you can use a 25g ( meaning the smallest) for it. Just make sure that you do all your precautions so you don't have a flood if there is a power outage. Question. How many lights on what kind do you have over your tank??

As big a sump as comfortably fits, leaving room for future add ons like reactors. Leave room for an ATO reservoir as well. Having 2 separate sump systems can be problematic when it comes to managing and balancing flows into and out of 2 sumps. You don't want to pump 1 dry and flood the other.

I don't have the tank as of yet. In the process of purchasing the necessities. My lighting will be 3 taotronics LED 120 watt fixtures. This tank is part of a grant I received to start up a reef system for a local high school. I hope to set up as large a refugium as possible.

Back
Top Bottom