What tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bandit Reefer

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I am looking at two options for a new saltwater tank and need some thoughts on the setups I am considering.

The first option is:

50g 36 x 15 x 20 acrylic Seaclear Sys II $550
- acrylic
- sump intergates in back ( going to remove wet/ dry for a Refugium)
- tunze 9002 skimmer $200
- bag of carbon in the chemical cup
- stock return pump
Stand would be a deep blue stand 36 x 18 $280

Cost : $1050 (rounded)

Second option is

65g all glass aquarium by Aqueon 36 x 18 x 24 $189
- regular glass tank with frame
- either drilled or HOB Litereef overflow box $110
- eshopps sump $200
- reef octopus skimmer $200
- reef octopus media reactor $75
- Sicce or Eheim return pump $75
- stand would be the Aqueon pine stand $265

Cost: $ $1050 (rounded)

Lighting for both is going to be either a 4 bulb or 6 bulb ATI Sunpower. (4 bulb for 50g and 6 bulb for 65g)

I am not sure on this one, the 65 I get max water volume and good equipment but on the 50g I get the acrylic benefits, easy setup and a clean minimalist look with all the filters in the back.

Or a third option I look into much more expensive ADA rimless starfire tanks. Highly unlikely due to cost, a 48g tank only is $700 where I live.

Thanks!

I personally dont like the seaclear tanks. Limits your options too much. Very little room in the back.

I'd go with the 65.
The other sounds interesting but you'll always want more room.

Can i suggest a 75g tank? Dimensions are 48x18x20H. The dimensions are better, and will allow you to use the 4ft T5s. Though not as high as the 65g you're thinking of, it is longer and will allow you to keep some smaller tang species if that's something you'd like to have. Bulb cost for a 4ft T5 isn't much more compared to what you were thinking of getting. With a 20" height and a 6 bulb T5 fixture, you can keep anything as long as your SPS are at the top of the tank. Just a thought.

spoonman said:
I personally dont like the seaclear tanks. Limits your options too much. Very little room in the back.

Can you expand on this? How does it limit your options? I've only seen pictures of these tanks so I don't understand how they really differ.

Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom