what would be the best way to rid of this "Mantis Shrimp"?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jason7894561230

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hey,
Now a lot of you know me for a freshie but i have a problem. I want to buy my brother a fish for his tank (Royal Gamma $100) but he says no. Becuase he has a mantis shrimp that can apparently chop his thumb off. Now i want to get rid of this silent killer because Mitchell thinks that thats where his Black clown went. But he hasnt actually seen it but he says he can hear clicking. Now what would be the best way to rid of this "Mantis Shrimp"? And what do they look like?

^ +1

Thanks Mike! I've always been interested in these and this was the best read I've seen so far.

I'm not a saltie but don't pistol shrimp 'click' also? I'm not sure they would be the cause of missing fish but it may be the one making the noise.

You need to sit at the tank and figure out for sure if you are dealing with a mantis or not. If it is a large mantis you need to be careful when removing it, they can cause damage!

We've encountered mantis shrimp in my business all the time and boy are they ever vicious ,..I can almost guarantee you that anything that's missing in your tank has been taken by him,...there's some cool footage on "UTUBE" about them..they drop in crabs,fish ,snails etc into a tank and it kills 'em all,....bad [moderator edit] critters...be very careful trying to remove them,they pack a punch!!!

i had a tank set up for 3 years that i tried to find the source of clicking in. i never did.
if it's a pistol shrimp, chances are it didn't and won't end up hurting anything.
if it's a mantis, it's going to take you many nights of looking with a flashlight. if you can find the rock he lives in, then you can remove it and put it in fresh water. he'll jump out soon after.
i wouldn't jump to conclusions just yet. i'd probably wait and see what happens.
btw, do you know where the rock came from? is it florida rock by any chance?
good luck.

Back
Top Bottom