What would this cost...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JackSpadesSI

Aquarium Advice Freak
I've already got two freshwater aquariums, but on a recent trip to a LFS my wife was wowed by a beautiful saltwater setup.

What would be the estimated cost to buy *everything necessary* (tank, stand, live rocks, etc.) to have a saltwater tank with two clownfish and some invertebrate friends (anemone, starfish, shrimp)?

I'm just looking for a ballpark price to get a feel for whether or not it would be realistic. Also, what would be the smallest recommended tank for that stock? I don't have room for anything huge.

Say for starters a 50 gal tank... 300.00+ for the tank and stand .... 150.00 for a protein skimmer... 150.00+whatever you wanna spend on lighting... 75 #of live rock and sand 350.00 +.... thermometer $50....salt mix to get started 150 gal worth $50.,... Misc test kits / refractometer $100., RODI water +-.40 gallon........ If you wanted to go with a sump and overflow box ,pump etc,... Figure $200. + - depending on how you want to set it up.....I think that'll pretty give you an idea but you might be able to cut a lot of corners buying used on eBay, craigs list etc,.....when I started my 75 gal tank I was quoted around $1500-1800 to get started,.....well that was a a couple of thousand dollars ago...realistically , figure $1500 +

I just started in this hobby. I payed at petsmart 230.00 for 56 gallon collum tank with stand ...was 43 dollars for a large salt bucket..
Got med size grain live. Sand. 50 pounds gaveme a good 3 inch sand depth. For 75.00 . I purchased 20 pounds of rock for 8.99 a pound.. hang on back aqua clear filter for 48 off amazon 2 power heads rated 850 gph for 24 a pc off amazon as well. Api test kit for 25.00 ..and untill u want a reef i got a aquaticlife t5 lighting for 330. U don't need the protien skimmer right away nor all the rock u can add as u go.

Well I bought a 85 gallon with a stand a 10gallon sump and pump for 250.00$ but with live rock invested and sand water test kits and other little things here and there I am up 700.00$+

Well I bought a 85 gallon with a stand a 10gallon sump and pump for 250.00$ but with live rock invested and sand water test kits and other little things here and there I am up 700.00$+

A 10 gallon sump for an 85 gallon tank??.... I think I'd wanna go bigger than that.

Dary421 said:
A 10 gallon sump for an 85 gallon tank??

Looks like ten to me maybe it's bigger

Attachments

• image-1900132.jpg
    image-1900132.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 73
RICH305 said:
Looks like ten to me maybe it's bigger
Ok,...if my eyes see correctly .the ten gals is just for that section of the sump not the whole sump itself,... If that's the case than " whew" alls well...

Dary421 said:
Ok,...if my eyes see correctly .the ten gals is just for that section of the sump not the whole sump itself,... If that's the case than " whew" alls well...

I'm new to this don't kno the proper terms of these things

Back
Top Bottom