What's next with my tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tidefever

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I would like to know what the next step is for my new aquarium. It's a 29 gallon salt water tank. I have live sand and live rock in it. It's been cycling now for almost a month. My salinity and temp are good. My PH, nitrite, and ammonia levels are all 0. My nitrate is around 10ppm. I have a hang on the back filter and a heater in the tank and that's it. I have a regular light under the hood. I plan on having mostly coral and 3-5 fish at most. My tank is slowly starting to produce some algea on the rock but nothing crazy yet. I know I need a new light for the coral and a couple of powerheads for circulation. Jus wondering what order to go in as far as what to put in the tank next. Ant help would be greatly appreciated.

I would put powerheads in first. After that once the levels are stable you can add the fish you want. Next step is to save up for a decent light, I am running a coralife dual t5ho in my 20 and my mushrooms and zoanthids are growing like crazy. Only cost me about $100 and will work fine with the mushrooms and zoas although its not powerful enough for other corals. But for now I'm perfectly happy with only having those corals.

It sounds to me like you have finished cycling, without knowing much about your cycle that is.
You should get yourself a powerhead first, this will help you get the flow needed for corals to feed from the water column and ensure proper oxygen/ph levels in your tank. Even photosynthetic corals need flow.
The question at this point is, what kind of coral you want to keep. This will define how much lighting and flow you will need in your tank.

Back
Top Bottom