whats that smell?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

stumpy

Aquarium Advice Activist
I got 10 more pounds of cured live rock for my 6 week old aquarium today and I decided to go ahead and rearange my other 10 lbs of rock to make it all look better. I was stirring the sand up and all of a sudden started smelling this terrible smell. I don't know how to descibe it. Is this normal or not normal?

I had the same smell in my tank after stirring up the sand, it basicly smells like fart, lol. The smell in my tank went away after about 2 days but I think it is because of a build of gas that the bacteria let out as a part of their eatting process, i am not usre though. But i guess to answer your question i believe it is normail, I had it too. Good luck witht the smell.

Thats exactly what it smelled like. My oldest daugher even asked her 5 yearold little sister if she farted!!

that is sulfide and definately bad. It usually will result if something dies and is left to rot in the tank. This needs to be removed. Also when you add your rocks turn them over several times to ensure you dont trap air bubbles underneath them

Yes it is a sulpher smell. I don't know of anything dying in my tank. When you say get rid of it, what do you mean?

For that to be in such a young tank its a bit concerning. Do you have ample water current in the tank?

Unless this is like a 5 gal tank and I dont think it is your gonna need more water flow in the tank. YOu also will probably need some additional sand sifters to help naturally turn over teh sand bed.

I'm new to salt water tanks. What do you mean by more water flow? Would I use a power head? I have two crabs and a conch snail to clean the substraight.

Basicly saltwater tanks should have at a minium a 10 X turnover of water per hour. So if you have a 55 gal tank then you should shoot for 550gph of water movement. The surface of the water should be disturbed with some fairly good ripples to enhance gas exchange.

If water stagnates then it could cause the problems that you are describing.

Yes, one or preferably two powerheads to create a chaotic current. That's best done by putting one powerhead at each end and pointing both towards the front center of the tank. You want to get about 10x volume water flow, although I've seen posting recommending as much as 20x volume. If you have a 50 gallon tank you want powerheads with a total rating of 500-1000 gallons/hour.

How big is your tank?
What are you planning on putting in it (livestock)?
Do you have any fish in there now? If so, what are they?
What's in it now besides the crabs and snail? Is that a single snail?
What kind of crabs?

The best thing I can suggest is to take some time and read the articles here. Then ask questions about everything. The people here will be glad to answer.

Ok,I'm counting on you guys to help me. I have a 30 gallon tank.I did have 2 yellow tail damsels but 1 went psyco last week so I took him back. I have 2 hermit crabs,1 big snail that stays on the glass and 1 conch (?) snail that stays under the sand most of the time. If this tank ever cycles (its been 7 weeks so far) I am going to take the 1 damsel back and get 2 clown fish. I eventually want to get 2 firefish,1 neon gobby,1 blemmie,and 1 cleaner shrimp. So far I have about 20 lbs of live rock and I put 2 bags of live sand in when I started my tank.I am using a bio-wheel 170 for my filter. Any advise or comments would be much appreciated. I have a feeling I could really fall in love with this hobby and I want to do it right. (no,I can't afford a larger aquarium...lol)

Where did you get the 'cured' LR from? IF it's from the LFS you're probably ok. IF you got it mailorder there is going to be some die off during shipping and adding it to the tank will start a new cycle.

Are you taking water chemistry readings?
Ph, Ammonia, Nitrates and Nitrates at a minimum?

Get a couple of small powerheads and place them so they are aimed at each other or at the front of the tank so you get good water flow. You don't want circular flow, and you do want surface agitation.

You might also want to get some more LR for filtration. Recommended 1-1/2 - 2 pounds per gallon of tank volume.

Also, have you done any partial water changes? Are you planning on doing regular partial water changes (10%/week aprox)?

Yes,I did get the lr from a lfs. I have been testing all 4 of the water tests.Weekly at first and every 3 days for the past two weeks,hopeing to catch it in the cycleing stage. It has always been perfect. I have not done any water changes. I didn't think I was supposed to until after my tank cycles.

To give you an idea of how much water movement you might need: I have a 30 gal tank...Currently I have 2 powerheads (one blowing accross the top front of the tank to help aggitate the surface, and one blowing in to opposite direction towards the back of the tank to help get behind my rocks) I am running a CPR protein skimmer as well as a fluval filter. You don't need the fluval filter, I had already purchased one before knowing I really didn't need it, but i use it for water circulation as well as to run carbon every once in a wile. PH's and a skimmer are the way to go. JMO

Back
Top Bottom