Whats the best to test NO3, NO2, NH4 PH (Cycling Started)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jeffw85

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Just got my new somewhat smelly live rock loaded into my new 175g bow. New sandbed (Playsand), new water, new skimmer, activated carbon, & phosphate remover all running. About 120# of LR in the tank. Now I need to keep an eye on the curing and cycling. I have a basic hydrometer already. Need to test the PH, Nitrates, Nitrites, & Ammonia. Is there a good all-inclusive test kit that I can use for this. I have relied on my maintenence people to handle this for my smaller tank but wish to take a more hands on approach for this major investment of a tank.

Thanks again in advance for your help!!!

Jeff Williams
Evansville, IN

If the tank is just cycling you will only need to test for amonia right now. After this starts to climb(few days to week) then you can start testing for nitrites as well. As amonia begins to go do nitrite will go up. After a few days(week) after your amonia is at 0 nitrite will begin to go down. IMO, tesing for these as well as pH every few days or week until the tank is running for a while and is real steady(6+) months. You can also test for nitrate but you shouldn't see a real rise in this unless your source water is real bad. You can test for other things but they are not necessary, especially this early in the game. You can test your SG as well but once the tank is setup and you're just adding top off water this number should not change, just be certain when you do a water change the new water is the same SG as the tank.

HTH,
Chris

Back
Top Bottom