What's the best way to handle diatoms?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

InfernoST

Aquarium Advice Addict
This quite funny, just yesterday I didn't have diatoms yet and today after getting home from the foot doctor it's all over the tank (Only left the house for 1 Hour), almost like somebody turned on a light switch or something. What is the best approach to handling them?

I thought I read somewhere on here that they will eventually burn themselves out. Just give it some time, as soon as quickly as they arrive, they will just as quickly dissipate.

Thanks guys, would it be a good idea to hit the affected areas with a Turkey baster and have the skimmer pick it up?

This quite funny, just yesterday I didn't have diatoms yet and today after getting home from the foot doctor it's all over the tank (Only left the house for 1 Hour), almost like somebody turned on a light switch or something. What is the best approach to handling them?

Keith the exact same thing happened to me. One minute I had a perfectly nice clean looking tank and the next I look and it was taken over by Diatoms. The substrate, LR, glass, and even my magfloat! They stuck around for a week or so but after that disappeared and burned themselves out like everyone told me. What I would do though on a daily basis was the obvious of cleaning the glass, nothing you could do with the LR, and I would take my pump and slightly vacuum the substrate a little bit - not too much but what I did took care of the problem temporarily. They finally went away after a week or so and then the coraline started coming in and took over the ugly brown the Diatoms had left on the LR and turned all my LR into awesome looking greens and reds and purples!

Keith the exact same thing happened to me. One minute I had a perfectly nice clean looking tank and the next I look and it was taken over by Diatoms. The substrate, LR, glass, and even my magfloat! They stuck around for a week or so but after that disappeared and burned themselves out like everyone told me. What I would do though on a daily basis was the obvious of cleaning the glass, nothing you could do with the LR, and I would take my pump and slightly vacuum the substrate a little bit - not too much but what I did took care of the problem temporarily. They finally went away after a week or so and then the coraline started coming in and took over the ugly brown the Diatoms had left on the LR and turned all my LR into awesome looking greens and reds and purples!
I'll leave mother nature to her thing and just clean the glass so we can see the bosses specimens.:)

You are not using tap water are you?
Yes I am at the moment, I'm going to order a RO/DI unit in about 2 weeks. The readings of the tank are as follows: Nitrates = 5mg/l, Phosphates = .25mg/l, Ammonia = 0, Nitrite = 0, Silicate = 2mg/l, DK = 9, PH = 8.2, Specific Gravity 1.024.

Yes I am at the moment, I'm going to order a RO/DI unit in about 2 weeks. The readings of the tank are as follows: Nitrates = 5mg/l, Phosphates = .25mg/l, Ammonia = 0, Nitrite = 0, Silicate = 2mg/l, DK = 9, PH = 8.2, Specific Gravity 1.024.

the phosphates and the silicate are why all the diatom. it will burn out when all theses are gone but if you continue to add tap water you will never get rid of the 2 problems. It will go away after you get your RO/DI

Thanks MD. I'm going to see if I can order the unit sooner. Are the readings that bad or are they OK, I thought they were pretty good for using tap?

Your phosphate is quite high, since the recommended level is .03.
Same with the silicates. You will have diatoms at the 2 ppm level your at now. It should be as close to 0 as possible.
As long as your using tap water, you will see diatoms and they will last a few weeks or more after you start using a RO/DI filter.

Reef Aquarium Water Parameters

Last edited:
Your phosphate is quite high, since the recommended level is .03.
Same with the silicates. You will have diatoms at the 2 ppm level your at now. It should be as close to 0 as possible.
As long as your using tap water, you will see diatoms and they will last a few weeks or more after you start using a RO/DI filter.

Reef Aquarium Water Parameters
Thanks Larry, Right now I'm running it FOWLR and am not venturing into any reef stuff for a while. I'm going to order a 5 stage today from bulk reef supply, should I get the one with the flush, pressure meter and TDS meter or just the 5 stage unit without the extras?

Back
Top Bottom