What's the next step?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mlpbarrett

Aquarium Advice Regular
After LR, what come's next? When is it safe to put something else in? And what is the next thing to put it? :confused:

What have you done up to now? What type tank is this going to be? Reef, FOWLR or FO.

What have you done up to now? What type tank is this going to be? Reef, FOWLR or FO.

Right now its all Live Rock only, but I really want it to be a reef tank. My husband is in the Process of building me a tank stand for a 50 Gal. So this tank is my first, and is only 12 gallons. BUT, im hoping to get the most I can out of it before I transfer to my big one! Thanks for your help....

OK so I`m assuming that you have saltwater , LR and sand or some kind of substrate in there now. If that`s the case you need to cycle the tank. Read in our articles section about cycling the tank.

Or clicky the link under my sig file.
Do you have the liquid tests for ammonia, nitrItes and nitrAtes?

Wow thanks! Ok so here was my plan for the day, as of now I have about 8.75 pounds of live rock in my 12 gal tank. I wanted to go pick up a few more pounds because my goal is to have at least 11. I then would go get a shrimp I guess from the store and stick it in there for the ammonia spike... my only concern is if it will hurt any of my live rock? Am I ok to go get a few more pounds and the stick the shrimp in there? I know I have a limpet living in there currently, will it die? Oh and yes Roka I do have a test kit, but everyone is telling me to go get a liquid test kit. Right now I have just the test strips that my LFS said they liked.

Yes the more LR the better. The surface area of your LR will hold the nitrifying bacteria that causes your cycle. In a 12 gallon tank make it a very small shrimp. Make sure you check out our nano tank forum. The tank being so small will be a little on the hard side. It will less forgiving on mistakes and problems because of the small water volume. It can be done but it will require constant dilligence. The folks on the nano forum have been through this and will have some good pointers.

The liquid ones tend to be more accurate, plus I really don't like sticking stuff in my tank that has chemicals on it.
You really want to shoot for 1.5-2Lbs of rock per gallon. If you are buying all LR (you can save some money and mix 75% base rock with 25% LR) I would suggest you add all the LR, drop in a pinch of food and wait 3-4 days and test for ammonia. If you see no ammonia, the LR has enough beneficial bacteria on/in it to convert ammonia to nitrAtes. If this is the case, you can go ahead and add a tiny clean up crew (not much for them to eat in a newer tank) and a fish.
If you see ammonia, you will need to cycle the tank.
It's hard to tell if the limpet will make it or not.

Ok, so I will go and pick up as much live rock as I can afford, ill probably pick up another four or five pounds then. Wait and see if the ammonia spikes, and if it doesnt in about 4 days then it has cycled?

Yes the more LR the better. The surface area of your LR will hold the nitrifying bacteria that causes your cycle. In a 12 gallon tank make it a very small shrimp. Make sure you check out our nano tank forum. The tank being so small will be a little on the hard side. It will less forgiving on mistakes and problems because of the small water volume. It can be done but it will require constant dilligence. The folks on the nano forum have been through this and will have some good pointers.

Where is the Nano tank forums?

Ok, so I will go and pick up as much live rock as I can afford, ill probably pick up another four or five pounds then. Wait and see if the ammonia spikes, and if it doesnt in about 4 days then it has cycled?

Well, how far and how are you transporting the LR?
If you add the food/shrimp and test for ammonia in 3-4 days, you are good to go.

I ended up getting another 9 pounds of rock! hahah, so im going to be checking to see any changes.

Nice so you should have a good 17LBS of LR in your tank.... Posting any Pics yet?

ha I haven't yet! My tank looks like nothing compared to some of those photos, but I will post some since you mentioned it! Nothing too exciting, but it's progress right? (y)

Back
Top Bottom