Whats this on my rock?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

daney90

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hello, I just started to cycle my tank few days ago and when I was looking at the rocks I found this parasite? Can anyone tell what this one is? What will I do with it?

image-597151706.jpg

Possibly algae of some sort. Probably brown hair algae. There's a lot if different kinds out there. My guess is its not a parasite at all. How old is the tank?

The tank is about 4 days old now. And I did used RO water to mix the salt. What do I need to do? Scrape it?

I don't know what it is but if u don't like it u can just remove it. Scrap or brush it off and vacuum or net it out. I recommend turning off power heads before u do because it will go everywhere. Good luck with the tank! First one?

Alright thanks! Yeah I'm going to remove it cause I'm getting paranoid what's going to happen to my tank and if it's going to affect my water. And yes this is my first one lol!! Pretty excited :D

Yep. Many new things happen with a new marine tank. Ur fine. Just hope u don't get the red slime cyanibacteria/algea. This stuff is nasty and bad. Good luck with the tank. What's the plans with it? Reef? FOWLR?

Definitely a reef tank :) but its going to be a really slow process for me though cause im on a student budget. Lol!!! I have been wanting to start this hobby since April but getting started means getting the right equipments. :)

Indeed. Slow is the best way to go in this hobby anyway. It can get expensive!! What al do u have? Heater, Skimmer, filter, refugiun, lights?

Right now I have a 55 gal display tank 10 gal sump, two heater, return pump, CPR overflow box, two powerheads, 50lbs dry rock, 7 stage RO system, test kit, etc.. No chiller, no ATO, no sterilizer and no lights yet lol!!

paul87 said:
Yep. Many new things happen with a new marine tank. Ur fine. Just hope u don't get the red slime cyanibacteria/algea. This stuff is nasty and bad. Good luck with the tank. What's the plans with it? Reef? FOWLR?

+1!! It's a huge pain! Dealing with it now!

Yea I've been using this stuff just for red slime algae. I forget what its called but it works good. I need another powerhead is why I had it. Can't position the one I have just right to circulate around all my rockwork.

It sounds like ur off to a great start. Any ideas for light it a protein Skimmer?

Back
Top Bottom