What's with the red stuff on my sand bottom?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

runway1

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I've recently seen some dark redish stuff on my sand bottom in a local area in the middle of the tank. Is this a moss or algae of some kind? What creature would enjoy this stuff? Thanks all!

Sounds terribly like cyano to me. I have some in my sand that I'm guessing is there from starting my tank with tap water. It is up against my glass in my sand. Suck it out and lower your nitrates/phosphates. Cyano is (usually) red (though it could be other colors, brown too, I think) and sheety. Easily sucked up with a syphon or turkey baster. Good luck with it. Fight it while you have a fighting chance!

It definately sounds like cyanobacteria. As stated above get your excess nutrients under control(phosphates). Possibly from overfeeding, overstocking or source water. Once you find the causes and stop them you can treat with chemi clean to rid the tank of it. For now just keep it siphoned off or it will get out of hand.

I thought cyanobacteria was blue-green? My flow is good and phosphates???? Guess I'll check.

What level should phosphates be at?
As close to zero as possible. You ahve two main objectives here...1. to identify and correct the source of the cyno and 2. to remove the exsisitng cycno from your tank. First, test for PO4 in both your tank water and your source water (used t changes and topp-offs). Make sure you are using a high quality RO/DI water. This is most likely the problem. PO4 can also be introduced into the tank by froozen foods. If you feed froozen, make sure you thaw it first and then rinse it in RO/DI water before adding it to the tank. Add another powerhead or two to the tank to create more flow. Cyno has a harder time getting a hold in hig current areas. Make sure there are no dead spots in the tank. Siphin as much of the cyno off of the subsrtate as you can. You can also try a product like Chemi-Clean to remove it. But if you have not corrected the source it will just come back. Good luck in the battle...Lando

runway1 said:
I thought cyanobacteria was blue-green? My flow is good and phosphates???? Guess I'll check.

Cyanobacteria can range in color from brown, green, blue, red and even almost black. The air bubbles that will appear on its surface can frequently identify cyanobacteria. Most commonly it appears in big patches on the surface of sub terrain, eventually moving to cover everything in the tank. It has the consistency of mucus and can even appear stringy. The visible algae is not algae or cyanobacteria, it is what is exuded through the process of photosynthesis by the cyanobacteria below.

Thanks all. I use RO water for top-off and a "mix" water from the LFS for changes. Would a PH right at the surface of the sand be more effective?

I currently use 2 Maxi-Jet 900's (230 gph) in my 55 gal tank. Also, a hang-on fuge and the return pump dump in at the top, adding a bit of flow as well. Sound good or another PH needed?

Would a PH right at the surface of the sand be more effective?
You are likely to produce a sandstorm so I would not.

I currently use 2 Maxi-Jet 900's (230 gph) in my 55 gal tank. Also, a hang-on fuge and the return pump dump in at the top, adding a bit of flow as well. Sound good or another PH needed?
I would add a couple more PH, either 900 or 1200's

Saltwater cyano is usually red, red/brown, brown, or almost black. In freshwater tanks, it is either blue/green, green, or almost black.

Back
Top Bottom