What's wrong w/my flower pot coral????

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bonniemarie

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Some alien creature has taken over as of the night before last. It started out as what appeared as a change in his structure (see photo 1). He has reached into a snail. This morning, I noticed he was covering 1/4 of the coral (see photo 2) and now when I got home, it has almost swallowed my coral and clearly has killed my snail. Last photo. should I remove it immediately? Is there no way to save my coral now?

Attachments

• 1 What's wrong with flower pot coral 005.jpg
    1 What's wrong with flower pot coral 005.jpg
    76.3 KB · Views: 465
  • 2 What's wrong with flower pot coral 009.jpg
    2 What's wrong with flower pot coral 009.jpg
    91.6 KB · Views: 366
  • 3 What's wrong with flower pot coral 010.jpg
    3 What's wrong with flower pot coral 010.jpg
    98 KB · Views: 507
First off... astrea snails can't really turn themselves back over. So most likely in that first picture the snail was already dead. If you see an upside down snail, it's best to turn it right side up again and send it along its way.

Now to the coral. Can't really tell from the pictures, and I'm no expert on Goniopora (flowerpot), but it either looks like cyano or a brown jelly infection. I'd put my money on brown jelly infection. I'd get it out of your tank immediately into a quarantine tank because brown jelly can spread to other corals quickly. I'd probably try to bag it underwater (zip lock bag) so as not to spread the gunk as you pull it out. Not sure how to treat it though - maybe some others will chime in on that.

From all I've read, Gonioporas have a dismal survival rate in our tanks.

Thank you for the reply. He's in a baggy right now. I heard these flower pots don't last, but mine seemed so happy and healthy up until now. I've had him for about 1.5 months. We'll see what others have to say. thx again.

As Kurt mentioned, it is indeed Brown Jelly. Although I am probably posting too late, the usual "remedy" consists of removal, flushing of coral with sw or fw, skeletal cutting (optional), and an Iodine dip. Iodine dips of 5-20drops/gallon are general ranges. In this extreme I would have added a full 20drops/gallon for an hour and later placed in quarantine. Added note, 1.5months of keeping Goniopora or Alveopora is common (under a year) and considered a dismal rate of survival.

Thanx for all your advice!

Hi everyone,

Thx for all the information, unfortunately, my coral didn't make it through the night but I've certainly learned quite a bit about brown jelly and iodine dips.

I must say that I'm disappointed in my LFS. they all know I'm pretty new to the whole saltwater experience and I always ask if things are hardy and if they'll be ok in my little tank. It was only after I got my coral home that I went to read up on it and discovered how very sensitive they are and should be left to the ocean! Thx again for all the help.

Back
Top Bottom