When to add fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Pittenger5

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
How do you know when its safe to add fish? I know there will be cycling for a long time (relatively), but do you need to wait the entire cycling period to add fish, or just until it stabilizes for the most part?

Cycle must complete. 0ppm ammonia, 0ppm nitrites and minimal nitrates. Anything put in before that happens is likely to die a horrible death. Just my .02.

Cycle must complete. 0ppm ammonia, 0ppm nitrites and minimal nitrates. Anything put in before that happens is likely to die a horrible death. Just my .02.

+1 to that don't rush into anything I have learnt from this mistake.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

At the end of the cycle, you should have 0 ammonia and nitrites. Nitrates will be there (because that's what those first two are converted to). Do a decent sized water change to bring those nitrates down and you should be good to add a fish. Don't add several, be patient. If you add too many fish at any time, it will overwhelm the beneficial bacteria and the ammonia/nitrites will start to register again.

To really be sure, you can get pure ammonia and dose that up to 4ppm. In a cycled tank, that should drop back to zero in 24hrs (or close to that).

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Sounds good, I just heard some people say it can take months to fully cycle. I'm in the ballpark of those numbers, so maybe another week or two I should hopefully be good to go.

How are you cycling the tank? What is your ammonia source and how are your readings looking so far?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Right now I'm sitting at the below:
Ph 8.2
Nitrite 0.5
Ammonia 1.0
Nitrate 0.0

So perhaps a bit soon to think about it.

Back
Top Bottom