Where can i buy the cheapest quality live sand?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I paid less than that for some I bought from my LFS. Check around locally first, then you don't have to pay shipping. Many individuals will give you a cup of live sand which can be used to seed dry sand which is by far the cheapest way to go.

Since I'm getting started, do you think it would be fine to do 1 bag or live sand on the top of just regular sand and everything be ok?

Since I'm getting started, do you think it would be fine to do 1 bag or live sand on the top of just regular sand and everything be ok?

Since you are just getting started, I wouldn't even do that. Go buy yourself a bag of dry aragonite sand (much better then just regular sand) and get your LFS to give you a couple cups of live sand. It will take a little longer for the bacteria to establish in your sandbed, but by the time you finish cycling the bacteria population will be good to go.

Would it be ok to get just 1 bag of live sand to put on the top layer of normal sand?

Probably, but you'll spend far more on supplements you have to add to the tank trying to maintain proper chemical balances then you would ever spend on the sand. Go aragonite, it'll help buffer your water from the very beginning. One large bag of aragonite sand will cost you less than the 1 bag of live sand, and if you find somebody to give you a cup of live sand out of their aquarium, you'll have far better live sand than what you are paying big money for in that bag. Live sand in a bag doesn't contain anything but bacteria ~ and depending on how old it is, even that often isn't too likely.

Could you reply with a link that is good aragonite sand that you suggest and isn't super expensive?

One brand of many that are out.
Nature's Ocean Aragonite Sand at PETCO
Keep in mind that your sand and rock is the foundation upon which you are going to establish your saltwater tank. This is the area you do not want to cut corners on. It is also the cheapest part of the whole hobby. If you cut corners on the foundation, you are just throwing money away. Because in the end, you are going to have trouble keeping the livestock alive and you'll end up spending a bunch of money on supplements you don't need if the foundation is right.

So how many bags of that should I get and how much live sand should I get on top of that?

That my friend is totally dependent on how big your aquarium is and how shallow/deep you want to run your sandbed. Again, personally I wouldn't waste any money on bags of live sand, I'd just get a cup or two from an established tank.

Back
Top Bottom