Where do I start?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

medman

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have an area 64" long where I would like to put a saltwater tank. Can someone please help me with what I would want to purchase and with an estimated price cost with an explanation of what it does? I know I need a pump, filter, skimmer, rock, salt, lights,,,etc. What size? Why? What price? How much maintenance is involved? I would like to have coral eventually along with fish. I am guessing the tank would be anywhere from 125-200 gallons. Thanks in advance for any help.

8O 8O

Teh questions.

Could possibly write a book about all of this. Would suggest reading some books for some info on maintenance/equipment/care/cost. Everything basically depends on what you want to keep in your tank. FOWLR or Reef? Ever done SW before? Even FW before? 125-200 is definately a deep plunge, especially if you've never done anything like this before. Should probably start here... as for cost... expect it to be in the small used-car department. :lol:

~~Rob

I would go with the largest your wallet can handle. If you are thinking corals now, I would go ahead and plan on a reef tank. It's cheaper to do it right the first time rather than change things up down the road.
Judging by the area, You have room for a 6ft tank. A 125G is 6ft, and would fit comfortably in that spot giving you a little space left over. Do you want acrylic or glass?
125G flow estimate: 1250gph for good filtration. (4 Maxijet 1200's would work).
Skimmer - Possibly a Reef Devil for that size.
Lighting - If reef, I would do MH, but some people prefer pc because of heating.
Substrate - No CC. Use sand. It will save you headaches.
Salt - Still in debate. Latest poll shows Kent and Oceanic.
LR - Only one place - liverocks.com 8)
With a tank that size, you will fare better with a sump. So, if you are in the market for a large tank, see if you can get it pre-drilled before you take it home. You will thank me for this later.
Maintenance - Water changes once a month. I do 15%, some do 25%. It really depends on your bio load.
I know there is more information, but these tips should help you along. HTH

Mike

Back
Top Bottom