Where to buy corals?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

underthesealover

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi, I am wondering if anyone could recommend to me any site where I can get my 1st set of corals and which ones were good for beginner like me thanks a lot!

Liveaquaria.com is really really good. Got my first online order from there. If give them 5 stars...recently ordered from another site and service was poor...nothing compared to my first experience they truly set the bar

I'm a big advocate of staying local. Between LFS's, reef clubs, craislist, and frag swaps, I've got a tank full of coral....... Never have paid outrageous overnight shipping, and the most expensive piece in my tank was $20.

I agree. I have over 25 different types of coral. A few from lfs and craigslist but most came from members of a local reef club. Now I don't live close to any of the members so I had a hour or so drive each time but I never paid "retail" price for any coral from any of them. I'm driving 2 hours one way this weekend to pick up more coral but I can't pass them up they are so cheap

I joined the reef club because members get 10% off at the lfs plus I met a bunch of really cool people

I will never pay 30 bucks or more to get coral shipped. A fellow can go broke real quick doing that.

You are both very fortunate, there's only one lfs in a 45 minute radius...since he has no competition the things I can buy online at liveaquaria for 35 bucks will cost me 75/80 there. Sorry I'd rather eat the cost of shipping and buy online. It's more affordable and they have a greater selection. Secondly, the lfs are buying online...this is cutting out not only the middleman but inflation too.

You are both very fortunate, there's only one lfs in a 45 minute radius...since he has no competition the things I can buy online at liveaquaria for 35 bucks will cost me 75/80 there. Sorry I'd rather eat the cost of shipping and buy online. It's more affordable and they have a greater selection. Secondly, the lfs are buying online...this is cutting out not only the middleman but inflation too.

Ouch....

Where are you located?

Hi, I am wondering if anyone could recommend to me any site where I can get my 1st set of corals and which ones were good for beginner like me thanks a lot!

Nobody really did address the second part of your question..... good starters are typically mushrooms and zoanthids/palythoas. Also depends on your lighting.... what kind of lights are you running?

I've been told duncans are good for beginners (and that's what I plan on starting in my tank)

I live about 30 minutes outside of cleveland ohio

Oh, Lord.... I was thinking you were out in BFE somewhere. I'm from the Cleveland area (Bedford), and you've got all kind of resources around you.

LEAR - Lake Erie Avanced Reefers
CSEA - Cleveland Saltwater Enthusiasts Association
Northern Ohio Reef Keepers

I just got off of the Cleveland & Akron craigslist...... search "coral" (also try "frag"). There's all kinds of pieces available. To heck with $35-$50 shipping...

Are you? Cool!!! The place on engle is shabby and the new spot on mayfield is stupid expensive. Closest reasonable place is in Copley (tidal gardens) they're great. But thanks for the heads up ill have to check them out ASAP

Are you? Cool!!! The place on engle is shabby and the new spot on mayfield is stupid expensive. Closest reasonable place is in Copley (tidal gardens) they're great. But thanks for the heads up ill have to check them out ASAP

Yeah, I stopped in at that place on Mayfield last time was up in town, about 2 months ago, and their coral prices were a wee bit stupid..... though I did talk him down to $125 for a 141W Taotronics LED and a nice heater controller.

And, unfortunately you just missed it, but LEAR had a big frag swap up there....
Lake Erie Advanced Reefers (LEAR), Cleveland, OH.

But again, back to the OP..... Unless you're in BFE, there's always local resources around, you just need to do some searching.

Even if you live in bfe you can drive and still find deals. I drive a hour one way and bought a 8 eyed emerald mummy eye chalice for $40 that sells for $50-$80 per eye online and a 18 eye prism favia for $40 last week or so ago

Back
Top Bottom