Where to start

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ddodad

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hi

I have been a fresh water hobbyist from my younger days, I got back into the hobby about a year ago setting up a small fresh water for my daughter. I got hooked again and I really want to go salt water but I have no clue where to start. I might of put the cart before the horse and already selected the fish I would want. From that I figured looking at live aquaria I will need a huge tank (300 gallon) is that even feasible for a first timer.
Also besides the tank what else would I need to do it right? (I figure the filter, lights, cooler/heater)

Thanks.

I still haven't made the jump into salt water. I realize now after some research and speaking to some people I know with salt tanks that I really can't get what I want at least to begin with or well unless I win the lotto.

My dream stock is:
Clown fish
Lion fish
Puffer ( love the porcupine )
Blue tang
Humuhumu trigger
Clown trigger
Queen angel
All of those hold a special place from my scuba diving days. Plus love sharks but not willing to keep one in an aquarium.

I might be getting my hands on a used 120 gallon , any advice on if any of these are compatible and could be happily homed in that size tank.

Thanks

Clowns....and all the rest, as juveniles. IMO, the clown trigger is a nasty, nasty fish and I wouldn't recommend one in a community tank. Lions don't do anything for me at all, but I do share your love for the porcupine puffer. I would want a larger tank for this fish because I would not want to re-home it after a couple years. They have too much personality to just give away.

That's what I had thought, I always grow so attached to my pets I would hate to have them for a while then rehome them. I was thinking a couple clowns and maybe a dwarf angel, plus some other smaller fish

Yes, even a tang or two. A kole and a regal(hippo) would be ok in a 120 for a while. You could contact your local public aquarium. They have been known to take large fish. then you can even go and see him/her ;-)

Back
Top Bottom