Which anemone.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mdw1974

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello. I have a 300l tank that's 12 months old. It has a cherub angel, 3 blue chromis, 2 common clowns, a blackeye goby a hermit crab and 2 peppermint shrimp in it as well as a sea hare. I want to put an anemone in, but want one that is fairly easy to keep and the clowns will like. I would like to start putting corals in shortly and perhaps a few other fish. What anemone would you suggest? And any ideas on corals on fish. I would like a mandarin goby? Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

No to a reef tank hence why I want to start off with easier stock. I currently have 4 T5's 2 normal and 2 blue.

Ok nems are not "easier stock", they are among the most difficult animals to keep in an aquarium. In addition your lighting isn't strong enough for a nem. Start with soft corals and work your way up from there, if you want some thing that moves in the current a little you could also try one of the euphillia family (torch, frogspawn, or hammer) they're easy and hardy lps. As far as nems go, IMHO if you can't keep sps growing and happy you shouldn't even think about trying a nem.

Thanks for your advice. Am I right in thinking that sps need intense light. I will upgrade my lights but want to save up and get some decent ones.

So would I be best to get some lps or the ones you mentioned. What are your thoughts on polpys. I want to start covering the live rock a little so don't want anything that's going to take over the tank but you are correct I want something that will add character and movement in the tank. I've also got a pair of wave makers and I operate a sump so the water movement is quite good.

Thanks, I'm sure I will ask more questions. Lol.

Polyps, lps and such should be fine. If you got 2 more t5 bulbs you could definitely keep a bubble tip nem.

Yep zoas have become my latest obsession, they come in pretty much any color combination you can imagine. Ricordea, rhodactis and toadstool mushrooms are all nice too, a nice big toadstool would probably entice the clowns too. Acans and the euphies I mentioned earlier are both real easy to care for lps that look great.

That's great. I'm fine with fish but to be honest corals, polyps, anemone and all that I'm completely new to but there as interesting as the fish and a hobby in themselves. I always thought it was odd anybody who just had tanks full of "plants", but when you investigate them there as complicated and interesting as the fish. I'll go through all your suggestions with the help of google. Thanks again.

don't waste your money adding more t 5's just go and get a metal halide , cheaper and more light

Adding two more t5s is much cheaper than buying 250-400 watt halide... If you really want to switch lights go buy 2 120 watt eBay led panels. Will last much longer than halides or t5s. And will save you more money.

You have a point there. My tank is 77cm deep. I will upgrade the lights in a few months what would you recommend. I'd rather save up Ang get decent ones. I also want a new skimmer as the current one was part of a start up kit and the water isn't as clear as I want ideally. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

I agree with getting the LED units. If your bulbs are the original ones, you're due to change them before you get any new corals (other than polyps perhaps). There is the price of one of the LED units right there.
As for water clarity, I don't think a skimmer will make any difference, as that's not what they do. A filter sock on your drain pipe will help, as will chaeto in your sump if you don't already have some. Of course a better skimmer will help with any nitrate issues you may have.

I have a little live rock in the sump and that's it, but was considering putting something else in would chaeto be a good option then. Presumably I would need a little light in the sump as well.

Back
Top Bottom