Which tank would you buy???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lando

Aquarium Advice Addict
I am slowly putting together the components to up-grade my 40 gal reef to a 72 gal Bow Front reef. I curretnly have...AquaClear 150 sump, 300watt heater, Mag 7 pump, Coralife CF 48" hood with moonlights. All that is left is the tank and stand. Here is my question...Would you buy an All-Glass reef ready or the Oceanic reef ready. The Oceanic is about $90 more expensive but it comes with the overflow accessory kit, the All-Glass requires you purchase that seperately at about $70 so it is basically a wash. Does anyone have any experience with these, preferences on which brand is better? Thanks! Lando

Go with oceanic if the price difference is so small.

Have you seen the two tanks side by side?

I have an oceanic 105, and an AGA 30G sump. They are both good quality tanks, however if I was going to pick a display I would go with the oceanic for no other reason than I fall into the "spare no expense" catagory on display tanks. Not really a good reason, but thats my 2.

Brisc0...you and I think alike. I agree that spending a little more $$$ usually gets a better product. Oceanic just recently modified their reef-ready tanks and the stands that go with them. They seem to have more surface area contact with the bottom of the tank and a center cutout for the plumbing. It just seems a bit more stable. Anyone else? Does anyone out there have the Oceanic stand with the single tinted glass door in the middle? Does this give you enough access to sump and other stuff under teh tank? Keep 'em coming, thanks!...Lando

hey adambomb47, I think you got the wrong thread. BTY, Austin rocks, you live in a great town...lando

PLEASE go Oceanic. Worth WAY more than the $20!!!!!!!!!1 When u see both of them together you will see why

I was looking at the 72g bow fronts this past weekend. The Oceanic stand with the 1 glass front panel looks soo much better than the 2 "slat" doors", but I also wondered if the 1 glass door would give you enough access space. Anyone have experience with this?

BTW - The 90g bow front looks very tempting, but I think that's a bit too big for my space.

TygGer,

I just completed the exact same comparison you're doing and came away with the Oceanic 72 Bowfront and I'm quite happy with my choice (despite the tank sitting idle in an extra room while I collect the remaining required equipment). Since I also went with the Oceanic sump, I don't foresee any access problems for me (based on a "dry" trial) and would expect the same for you if the AquaClear 150 sump is of similar dimensions. There may be some times I'll need to reach or bend a bit more due to the single door, but it won't be a big deal.

Note that the 90 gal Oceanic bowfront has the same footprint as the 72 gal. The tank is just a few inches taller. There is a fairly significant price jump (up to $400 for some reason) to get to the reef ready 90 though. Speaking of price, I basically just shopped via the internet to research the best prices, then offered a local pet store the opportunity to match that price. Most store owners should jump at that opportunity since it's simply a pass-though, special order, deposit required sale that doesn't require them to tie up $ in inventory. Based on research here, you may want to consider skipping the glass top, which retails for about $50, based on heat trap affecting your reef. Good luck.

Thanks everyone, I did end up going with oceanic and finished my up-grade a couple of weeks ago. After 8 hours of hard work my fish seemed really happy. The stand works okay, but with the door in the middle the sump is kind of in the way. But I agree, it does look better then the AGA stand. Thanks all for your advice and I will post some pics of the new tank when I get around to taking some.

OneBowl,

You're right. The 90g is only taller than the 72g, but I think I would need to get a diving mask in order to reach the bottom of the tank! How does anyone manage a tank that tall?

Back
Top Bottom