White chaeto?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gleach

Aquarium Advice FINatic
What can cause it to change color? I have had the same chaeto for 11 months it has grown very slowly and always looked healthy, it is now about 4 to 6 times the size it originally was when I purchased it. Now it has turned white on the bottom where light may be blocked a bit. I don't understand because it hasn't changed in size very fast. I have changed my mp10 from nutrient transport to reef crest or lagoon, i can't remember which one, but regardless I recently adjusted my flow. I keep it on a reverse schedule from my main display. My sump and main display lights are both of for a few hrs every day. My ph is fairly stable and I dose alk as needed from what my weekly tests tells me I keep it at about 8/10 dkh. I recently added a Uv steralizer and noticed almost immediatly my refugium began to form a green floating film? My main display is looking good but my fuge is looking dirty and lastly today I noticed the white coming in on the bottom of the chaeto? Could my tank not be producing enough nitrates to keep the chaeto alive?

Sent from my VS985 4G using Aquarium Advice mobile app

What can cause it to change color? I have had the same chaeto for 11 months it has grown very slowly and always looked healthy, it is now about 4 to 6 times the size it originally was when I purchased it. Now it has turned white on the bottom where light may be blocked a bit. I don't understand because it hasn't changed in size very fast. I have changed my mp10 from nutrient transport to reef crest or lagoon, i can't remember which one, but regardless I recently adjusted my flow. I keep it on a reverse schedule from my main display. My sump and main display lights are both of for a few hrs every day. My ph is fairly stable and I dose alk as needed from what my weekly tests tells me I keep it at about 8/10 dkh. I recently added a Uv steralizer and noticed almost immediatly my refugium began to form a green floating film? My main display is looking good but my fuge is looking dirty and lastly today I noticed the white coming in on the bottom of the chaeto? Could my tank not be producing enough nitrates to keep the chaeto alive?

Sent from my VS985 4G using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Cheato is normally pretty fast growing. If yours is growing slowly I'd suspect you have low nitrates and phosphates.
Every month or 2 I'd pull about 1/3 to 1/2 my chaeto out and throw it away so as to let the new stuff keep growing. But you definitely want to keep enough to keep your nitrate and phosphates at or near 0

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom