Whoo! $20 60gal Tank!!! Maybe a reef???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

atomiclord

Aquarium Advice Activist
Ok, so this morning I aquired what looks like a 60gal/230ishL tank (I'll measure it for certain later) for $20 from the little bro's girlfriend. Now I have to decide what to do with it. I'm really into the whole reef setup + liveplants / corals.... BUT I'm a uni student and will be for at least another 3 years (5yr degree). Hence pricing is an issue so I'll have to save up. But I'd rather be prepared first, rather than starting a tank up and discovering something is needed with a three figure price tag etc etc...

So, I've been thinking along these lines: (all prices are $AU = about $0.65US ATM)

Protein Skimmer - about $150 to $350
2 Powerheads - anywhere from $60 to $200
Live Rock - $300 to $600 depending on how much
Lighting - Not sure need some advice
Live Sand - Not sure need some advice
Corals - I don't even want to know right now
(probably low to med light req)

Also, wondering if I should use a sump tank and/or a fuge? 60gals is kind of in between recommended sizes for each of those.

Also thanks to everyone for their nice welcomes to this forum :p

RO/DI unit can run between $200-$400 USD. Check around on ebay and you may find some cheaper.

Save some cash, don't buy the "live" sand, I doubt there is much live in it. Mix about 75% base rock with LR and you can save there. Don't skimp on the skimmer.
I likw hydor korelias for phs.\
Lights, I like the nova extreme pro.
How about heaters? I use finexx titanium heaters.
Test kits...API is a good starting point.
A sump is good for added water volume and for offers other benefits.
Corals will come later, once you tank is stable.

Congrats on the new tank. I think you`ve got some pretty good advice. The lighting will be based on what type corals you plan on getting.

Back
Top Bottom