Why a protein Skimmer?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CheeseHead88

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi, New SW tank being setup soon, and I need a good quote for the expenses, in which I'm sure most of you would understand. I have a 29gal. Bio cube and I've been waiting to set it up. It is going to be a FOWLR set up for sure. Just one problem. Do I need a protein skimmer? I am told it is not too necessary if there is no coral, but the skimmer sold under oceanic is Air powered, is it worth the expense, or does anyone have this Bio cube skimmer? I just need insight on how to keep my first SW aquarium. Thanks.

people sell biocube skimmers... they are around 60 bucks at the lfs.. yes even without coral its still a nice thing to have.. it pulls stuff out of the water before it is able to be turned into nitrates.

Skimmer is good but not needed for a Fish only tank. If you go with LR, you can run it even with a wet/dry filter. Just good ole PWC's are all that's needed to keep the Nitrates in range for fish.
TC

I myself almost consider a protein skimmer a necessity. Granted is isn't needed, you would honestly love it. The skimmer gets out scum that you couldn't believe.

I got the function part down, it's just I would like it to be concealed, and the Oceanic one is air driven, is that sufficient enough or is it going to be a lousy investment vs. other types of skimmers, so overall is it worth the expense given that I do PWC and keep the parameters in check. Just wanted some opinions. Thanks.

If I were you I'd skip it for now. Most cheap skimmers are junk although I don't know much about either fore-mentioned skimmer. Try without it and then decide if you need it. Plus, skimmers are noisy and if you don't need it don't waste the power...but if you can't keep up on your pwc's then a skimmer is more important.

The links provided are excellent resources. I highly recommend running a skimmer if you have the room, money, etc. It can be done without (I am skimmerless on my 20G), but having one offers an added level of consistency, ease of maintenance, and a little room for error, which are all very good to have on your first tank. As with most SW equipment though, it's usually cheaper in the long run to buy right the first time instead of buying twice. If you get one make sure to research and buy right.

Back
Top Bottom