why do anemone's do this?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sirfishmaster

Aquarium Advice Freak
why are anemone's attracted to PH? my reef is set up so there is swimming room on each end of the tank. for months it would move from front of the reef to the back and back to the front. last week it moved to the bottom of the tank in the corner and stayed put. well i looked in there when i got home from work and it was gone :( ....looked everywhere. I was about to tear up the tank to look for it. Then BAM 8O i saw it under my PH. it was not hurt as there is a safety screen on it. i took it off and placed it inbetween to rocks...and started to open up again :) . is this common? by the way its a Condy anemone.

doug

I always was under the impression that they don't like large amounts of water flow.. I say this because pointing a PH at them is one way to get them to move from a spot. And if they are moving in the tank a lot they are not happy in that tank.
If its under the PH then it would be getting little flow in that area right???
How much flow in the tank? You may want to redirect the PH to give the anemone a low flow area to hide in.

Mine did that for about 3 weeks until I put a "cave over the powerhead and sat the anemone on top of the cave. problem solved.

well, everywhere i read about this anemone is that they do move around a lot....i do not have any real dead spots, but the water flow is not great. at the moment i only have one 600gph PH that i rotate every other day from one side to the other side, like i said he usually moves from back to front with the lighting cycle. then went way low on the tank...then on top of the grate at the PH....very weird...where i stuck him last night he was still there this morning...guess ill see where he is at when i get home

doug

sirfishmaster said:
at the moment i only have one 600gph PH that i rotate every other day from one side to the other side
doug
So you physically move the power head from one side of the tank to the other?
That could be why your anemone is moving so much. It finds a spot it likes, than the current changes and it has to move again.

does the current flow direction in the ocean change dramaticly every other day? I would think not, maybe in shallow waters where high/low tides come into play. I would suggest adding an additional powerhead and stop moving the powerhead around to let your anemone settle down.

i see where you are going, but i dont think thats it, as i have been doing this for months now and it has never moved before..the tank is 4 foot long, so i dont think the flow of water is very great. But it is a good theory...i just dont think thats it. i have another PH on its way. I have heard this species is a traveler but just seems werid that after 6 months it now is deciding that it does not like where it is

doug

Is this a 75 or 90 gal?

Condylactis don't need that much light but too much will cause them some discomfort. If it's been there for 6 months and behaved for the most part, lighting will not be much of a contributor. What they do hate though is heavy water flow directed at them in any way. Most anemones prefer gentle varying flow over and around them but never "towards" them and Condylactis must be able to conceal their foot.

How do you have the powerhead positioned? Upwards or into the tank? With only one powerhead you could be creating a "whirlpool" effect, 600 GPH from a sole powerhead is quite a bit.

Cheers
Steve

Back
Top Bottom