Why my surface skimmer scares me . . .

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

toddwess

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have a wet/dry filter that utilizes a surface skimmer to collect water for the sump.

There is a clear plastic box with slits in it inside the tank, and a U-Tube feeding water into a collection box that hangs on the back and feeds water to the sump.

So, I'm looking around the tank last night for my lettuce nudibranch, and he/she is nowhere to be found. (We've named him/her Leti)

Long story short - it was in the filter material above the bio-ball chamber of the sump!!! It must have gotten sucked through the slats on the skimmer, and then made the horrible trip through the U-Tube, into the collection box, down the drain tube into the sump, avoided the skimmer, and then overflowed into the filter material.

Amazingly, I got it out, and back in the tank. I think he/she is going to be fine, but how can I keep this from happening again?? Is there a mesh I can get for the surface skimmer?? Or is there a product out there specifically for this issue?

Thanks!!

Todd

Go to the hardware store like homedepot or lowes and look for something refered to as eggcrate. Its a white 1" square grid of plastic that is often used in florecent light fixtures.

Cut this to fit the three sides of your inside overflow box so that the egg crate is above the water surface a few inches. Of course this is just 1 more thing to keep clean.

All nudis have a irresistable urge to check out your powerhead intakes as well, make sure those are well screened.

most overflow boxes have pre filter on the intake tube to prevent this from happening. Try to make up such a device in the overflow box.

The egg crate Idea is a good one but a pad should be placed on top of the eggcrate ....I think a nudibranch could still go through the 1/2" square hole of the eggcrate.

Koijoy

I use a finer plastic mesh that I get from a hobby store. Put it in the overflow so that the top edge sticks out of the water about an inch. Yes, you have to keep it cleaned out because the finer mesh will clog more easily. So far, I haven't had anything to cross over it though. An occasional snail will get between the wall of the overflow and the mesh, but they always get back out the same way they got in.

Back
Top Bottom