Will my tank cycle if I use established live rock?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

harrytownend

Aquarium Advice Activist
I set up my first nano reef a couple of days ago with established and cured live rock from a friends tank. Will still cycle? I've tested the water daily and not seen any ammonia, nitrites or nitrates so I don't really know what's going on. If you have any advice then please let me know!

Sent from my iPod touch using Aquarium Advice

It should cycle, just faster, as you already have beneficial bacteria in the rock. What are you using as an ammonia source? To cycle, you need ammonia.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1408366272.776205.jpg I read here that it might not cycle. As for ammonia, I thought that the live rock would have some die-off which would create ammonia.

If not then I'll let a shrimp decompose in the tank to start it off. Which way would you recommend?

Dose pure ammonia (places like Ace Hardware sell it, I've been told) to 4ppm and see if it goes back to zero within 24 hours. Dr Tim's also sells this (which is what I've always used. If buying from somewhere like Ace, you want it non-scented, no bubbles after shaking. If it goes to zero ( or really close ), you have enough BB and you are good. If there was die off, then there should at least be the end result of nitrates. Odds are, if you add fish slowly, you will be okay, but testing can't hurt.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I'm in the uk so I can't get to any of those shops but I'll look on amazon.

Does it have to be aquarium ammonia or can I use something like this ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1408376172.615585.jpg

If parameters stay the same for a couple of weeks I might try a clown goby

Just tested my ammonia again and this is what I gotImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1408376635.590867.jpg

What does that mean?!

I did another test and it just stayed clear. It did the same thing this morning

I know that one wasn't right but the other two tests I did today both stayed clear and I followed the instructions.

My bad, I was doing it wrong... Thanks for pointing it out

Yeah they shouldn't stay clear, follow the instructions exactly. I also agree with Todd on checking the cycle with pure ammonia, but I wouldn't dose it up that high 1-2 ppm converted to nitrates in 24 hours and you should be good to slowly start stocking.

Did the tests right this time. Ammonia is 0.5. Nitrite is 0 and nitrate is 0

Does it have to be aquarium ammonia or can I use household ammonia as it's the only stuff I can find?

As long as it's pure ammonia no surfactants or perfumes. If you shake the bottle and see bubbles its no good

Sent from the Death Star

I'm starting to see ammonia now so I'm gonna leave the tank and see what happens. I'm pretty sure it's started cycling

Thanks everyone for all your help! :)

Back
Top Bottom