Would nitrifing bactria cycle an aquariam fully?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Oh yes

I used tetra safe start and it cycled my tank in ONE week, but even after that I waited another week, so two weeks in total
But some bottles are good, some are bad, so it's a hit and miss chance

I am not a big fan of using chemicals to cycle a tank. I prefer the raw shrimp method, I believe the cycle to be stronger, takes a bit longer but worth the wait...

Oh yes

I used tetra safe start and it cycled my tank in ONE week, but even after that I waited another week, so two weeks in total
But some bottles are good, some are bad, so it's a hit and miss chance

When you cycle with those do you add anything else?

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes. Without something to eat the bacteria will starve and die. You can either use the pure ammonia or cocktail shrimp method. I like tossing the uncooked shrimp in and walking away. I accidentally overdosed when trying the ammonia route. Added another week onto my cycle.

The bottled stuff just adds BB to the water column, not the rock, etc where it needs to be. Go ammonia or shrimp for cycling (I did the shrimp route, put it in old pantyhose to keep it from fouling the water, and ran carbon to cut the stink).

I used bacteria and was done in 3days then again I've used freshwater versions also and it took a week... It really just ensures a faster cycle not really an instant one.

Imho. skip the $20 bottled bacteria and just get a cocktail shrimp. The bacteria comes free :)

The cocktail shrimp cost me $1, the pantyhose a scowl from my wife ;-)

It really ensures that you get a good, complete cycle, and you don't have to worry about dosing.

The cocktail shrimp cost me $1, the pantyhose a scowl from my wife ;-)

It really ensures that you get a good, complete cycle, and you don't have to worry about dosing.

Why a scowl? She can always have the pantyhose back when you're done
with it.

Back
Top Bottom