wrasse question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Red44

Aquarium Advice Freak
I really would like wrasse I think they look really cool but I don't want to risk my shrimp is there any wrasse that won't bother them at all ?

I know my cleaner wrasse never bothered anything. Check live Aquaria, they have reef safe and not reef safe wrasse sections.

What kind of shrimp do you have? I have yellow coris wrasse and it hasn't bothered my shrimp yet. I might have a mild mannered one since it get along with everything in the tank and doesn't freak out like my other one did that decided to try to go into the sump and didn't make it.

I've had a couple of flasher wrasses and they have been great with peppermint shrimp and a coral banded. These guys are colorful and many have high fins or streamers. They may hide in the rock or sand when first introduced for a day or more. I thought I lost my first one and the CUC got him, bought another, and then ended up with two until they went carpet surfing. (Make sure that your tank is covered!) I got another one for my 75 and if the lights are on, he's out and about and really shows no fear of me or his tank mates (two ocellaris clowns, a Bangaii cardinal, and an ochre striped cardinal). he follows me from one end of the tank to the other looking for food. I'd like to get more, but I understand that males will fight, and I think that's what you see most often. I've also read they need frequent feedings because of their high activity level. (Mine generally eats like a pig.) I started mine on frozen and they weened over to flake in a matter of days.

Fairy wrasses are somewhat similar, but larger fish that I don't think will bother inverts unless they are really small shrimp.

Sergie said:
I know my cleaner wrasse never bothered anything. Check live Aquaria, they have reef safe and not reef safe wrasse sections.

Ok I'll check them thxs

joy13 said:
What kind of shrimp do you have? I have yellow coris wrasse and it hasn't bothered my shrimp yet. I might have a mild mannered one since it get along with everything in the tank and doesn't freak out like my other one did that decided to try to go into the sump and didn't make it.

I have 2 cleaner shrimp and 2 blood shrimp

Rutrag said:
I've had a couple of flasher wrasses and they have been great with peppermint shrimp and a coral banded. These guys are colorful and many have high fins or streamers. They may hide in the rock or sand when first introduced for a day or more. I thought I lost my first one and the CUC got him, bought another, and then ended up with two until they went carpet surfing. (Make sure that your tank is covered!) I got another one for my 75 and if the lights are on, he's out and about and really shows no fear of me or his tank mates (two ocellaris clowns, a Bangaii cardinal, and an ochre striped cardinal). he follows me from one end of the tank to the other looking for food. I'd like to get more, but I understand that males will fight, and I think that's what you see most often. I've also read they need frequent feedings because of their high activity level. (Mine generally eats like a pig.) I started mine on frozen and they weened over to flake in a matter of days.

Fairy wrasses are somewhat similar, but larger fish that I don't think will bother inverts unless they are really small shrimp.

I'll look in to them to thxs everyone oh and are wrasse agestive to foxface ?

Mine wasn't agressive to my foxface...nothing really is, they're all afraid of him. Must be the spikes...

I have a Solaris fairy wrasse and a leopard wrasse. All my shrimp are present and accounted for and happy. I have a mated coral banded, peppermint and cleaner shrimp. Granted, each set of shrimp have their "stations" in the tank, but both wrasse roam the tank and neither bother any of the shrimp

Ok see if I can find fairy wrasse that looks similer to sixline wrasse thxs

Do the fariy wrasse bury in the sand like others I seen?

I must of mistaken sixline for the pinstriped wrasse

Back
Top Bottom