X-mas Tank (1st Try at Saltwater)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yay! The start-up cost is always the most expensive then after that it's not too bad. If you start pretty soon you can be showing off your tank and fish and some corals during Christmas time.

obscurereef said:
Yay! The start-up cost is always the most expensive then after that it's not too bad. If you start pretty soon you can be showing off your tank and fish and some corals during Christmas time.

That's what I am hoping for!

Is this fully stocked?

2x ocellaris clowns
1x pistol shrimp
1x watchman goby

jackwagon said:
Is this fully stocked?

2x ocellaris clowns
1x pistol shrimp
1x watchman goby

Also what about a CUC? I though the pre made options on live aquaria were a bit over kill. I think something like

7x nassuris snails (spelling?)
2x hermits
1x a serpent star (maybe)
Any other ideas?

jackwagon said:
Also what about a CUC? I though the pre made options on live aquaria were a bit over kill. I think something like

7x nassuris snails (spelling?)
2x hermits
1x a serpent star (maybe)
Any other ideas?

That sounds like a good start. Don't want to put too much in a brand new tank, you might not have enough algae to feed everything. I would nix the star till tank is a little older, though. I would add a few banded trochus or astrea snails too, cuz they clean the glass.

Ok thanks. Well since my Petco is out of 20 gallon longs, do you think I could get a 29 gallon and still be fine with my power heads and filtration? The light would still fit.

I don't remember the PH that you have, but the 50g filter should be okay, but you'll have to make sure you keep up on water changes cuz that's pushing it. Youll want 30-50x turnover rate for reef tank.
If your petco doesn't sell the water, do you have a smaller LFS near you? Ask there if they sell RO water. If that's still a no, you can use distilled water if you must. Distilled is better than tap.

Ok thanks for the help. I guess I will just have to look around

jackwagon, if you haven't done so yet, I strongly strongly strongly want to tell you get an RO/DI unit. You'll save yourself money in the long run and you really do not know what is in the "RO" water at your LFS or Petco/Petsmart. With your own RO/DI unit, you are in control of quality control of that RODI water.

Back
Top Bottom