Yellow tang in 28 nano rescue question.. sadly

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

duoc9119

Aquarium Advice Freak
A buddy of mine has taken apart his tank and gave me some live rock and his yellow tang. All I have is a 28 gallon nanocube that I am currently planning to turn to a reef tank.

Seeing how I got him unexpectedly and I only have a 28 gallon tank. It looks like it will have to be his permanent home.. sadly.. I called every LFS in a 20 mile radius and no one seems to be taking livestock of any kind. Apparently they have been having issue with people giving them sickly fish that spread things to their other tanks.

I've also tried asking around, but no one really seems to have a salt water tank around here. Kind of located in a poorish neighbourhood..

My plans for a reef are shot I think with this unexpected arrival. Any ideas how I can make it comfortable in the 28?

I do know for a fact that a yellow tang in a 30 gallon tank has been done successfully and is as healthy as any other yellow tang in a 75+ gallon.

I'm ready for the tang police to come beat me with a baton, but this wasn't really my first choice for a hitch hiker with the rocks.

I don't know why I didn't think of Craigslist. I will give that a try. Any ideas on how to keep the tang comfortable for his hopefully short stay?

That sounds like a good idea. Would the dried seaweed Foster and Smith have be adequate? Should I move my rocks around to give him some swimming space? Either move the rocks towards the center so he can swim around in circles, or push the rocks to the back wall, maybe give him lots of caves or something?

How big is the Tang? If it's a little guy, you are prob okay for a little while in a 29. Yellow Tangs aren't as active of swimmers as a Blue or Powder Blue Tang, which is a good thing in your case.

My Yellow Tang likes to sleep in my reef and dart in and out for safety. He likes to go between my live rock and back wall of tank and has claimed this spot as his territory. Make sure you have somewhere for your Tang to hide/sleep. Oh by the way, they like to eat a lot and are constant grazers in the wild. Feed regularly and make sure to keep water quality up. Good luck.

My worse case scenario is actually having to keep him. He's only about 3-4 inches. So I should make a lot of navigated caves for him or of the like? Shouldn't be too hard with the marco and reef cleaner rocks I ordered.

I'm not worried about water quality. I've got that under control, seeing how I started with pico tanks (I have 3) and this 28 gallon tank is literally the first "big" tank upgrade. So far water quality hasn't been much of a problem. Just a complete miss when I first added chaeto to the AQ fuge.. Not sure what happened but the chaeto ended up dying and leaching nitrates and phosphates (I had followed an AQ fuge guide, only difference was the light I used, a desk lamp and CF bulb)

If no one on craigs list has a set up for a yellow tang you might try a local fish forum I know there are 3 in my area that I have gotten things from. When I inquire about a fish I always include a picture of my tank and what else might be living in it. More for bragging rights that I take care of my tanks lol.

Back
Top Bottom